Re: [Rival] Microsoft May be Sued (Class Action) for Forcing People to Buy Windows

____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 14 Jan 2010 19:31 : \____

> On Jan 14, 8:30 am, Mark Kent <mark.k...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> > Italians threaten suit over Windows pre-install
>
>> > ,----[ Quote ]
>
>> >http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/01/05/aduc_to_file_windows_clas...
>
>> This should be very very interesting indeed.  I presume we'll see all
>> the usual activity - members of ADUC will be attacked in the press,
>> Microsoft will attempt to get in at a more senior level, preferable try
>> to bribe juries and judges, or, if the judge is going the "wrong way",
>> try to have him or her replaced.
>
> It's likely to be a replay of a number of similar cases.  Microsoft
> will take the position that OEMs purchase millions of copies of
> windows and install it on the computers because they feel it will add
> to the value of the computer.  After all "Without our operating system
> a computer is just a box with some blinking lights".
>
> Normally there are a series of preliminary rulings.  If the judge
> indicates in the preliminary rulings that he isn't buying this
> argument, or that he is buying the arguments of the plaintiffs that
> Microsoft has illegally conspired to prevent consumers from buying
> machines that didn't have Windows, and instead had something else,
> like say, Linux, in them, then they are likely to offer a quick and
> cheap settlement carefully worded to not only continue business as
> usual, but also will prevent evidence or rulings in this case from
> being used in other cases.
>
> There is a reason why Microsoft pays nearly $2 billion in legal fees,
> and it isn't because the lawyers play golf with them.

FWIW, Microsoft formally reduced the legal budget by 15% (due to its sharply-declining profits). It
also fired many lawyers, which makes it weaker in the courtroom.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

All that blue light from Orthanc at night? That was
Saruman, trying to moderate
- -- news.admin.palantir-abuse.sightings.