[News] 6 Final New Releases of GNU/Linux Out This Week

  • Subject: [News] 6 Final New Releases of GNU/Linux Out This Week
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:43:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Elive 1.9.56 development released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Elive Team is proud to announce the
| release of the development version 1.9.56
|
|     * 3G Phones: More than 300 new
|     operators added
|     * Internet Module: If you connect with
|     a 3G phone, the configuration will be
|     saved and you can set it to
|     automatically connect at the boot
|     * Icedove: When installing icedove, it
|     contains by default a very nice elive-
|     style looking template
|     * Flash updated to 10.0.42.34
`----

http://www.elivecd.org/Main/News/elive-development-1.9.56-released

Clonezilla Live 1.2.3-24

http://www.clonezilla.org/

Scientific Linux Fermi 4.8 is released

,----[ Quote ]
| Scientific Linux 4.8 has been released for
| both i386 and x86_64 architecture.
`----

https://fermilinux.fnal.gov/news-events/scientific-linux-fermi-4-8-is-released

Webconverger 6.0

http://webconverger.com/

Frenzy 1.2 reincarnation (community release)

http://frenzy.org.ua/

PelicanHPC GNU Linux 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| *    PelicanHPC v2.0 is available. Features:
|
|           o based on Debian testing
|           (squeeze) instead of stable
|           (lenny). This means that most
|           packages have newer versions. In
|           particular, the kernel is at
|           2.6.30 and Open MPI is at 1.3.3.
|           o has new MPI bindings for GNU
|           Octave, developed mostly by R.
|           Corradini, building off MPITB.
|           The new MPI bindings allow use of
|           Octave 3.2.x instead of 3.0.x,
|           which gives some important
|           performance gains. The new
|           bindings are less complete than
|           MPITB, but they provide all MPI
|           calls used in the examples for
|           GNU Octave. The Monte Carlo and
|           kernel examples have been adapted
|           to use these new bindings, the
|           other examples of MPI usage
|           within Octave still need to be
|           updated.
|           o Open MPI is now the only MPI
|           implementation installed.
|           o the Ganglia monitoring system
|           is installed and pre-configured
|           for up to 4 hosts. It is easy to
|           add entries for larger clusters.
|           Visit http://localhost/ganglia
|           after having set up the cluster
|           (pelican_setup). The ksysguard
|           monitor is still available, too.
`----

http://pareto.uab.es/mcreel/PelicanHPC/

Recent:

Fragmentation good for the user, says Nokia

,----[ Quote ]
| Fragmentation within mobile platforms helps handset manufacturers
| and software developers to properly address customers' needs, a
| senior Nokia executive has said.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013788o-2000331761b,00.htm

Distribution Variation

,----[ Quote ]
| I could use one variant that let
| me choose my desktop environment and applications during
| install time. The installer could use either a network
| repository, or on disc repository depending on the ISO file.
`----

http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2009/09/distribution-variation.html

Torvalds rejects one-size-fits-all Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/246534/torvalds-rejects-onesizefitsall-linux.html