[News] Microsoft Makes Mistakes That Push for Increased Use of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Makes Mistakes That Push for Increased Use of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:59:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Desktop Linux Market Share Will Rise, Thanks to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, Microsoft was happy to let China pirate
| Windows in order to get them âaddictedâ to it.
| A decade later just as Bill Gates said, they
| are in the business of collecting from the
| very junkies they created. One has to wonder
| what China would be using, had Microsoft not
| allowed this to happen. Exactly ten years
| since Bill Gatesâ speech, Microsoft stepped up
| anti-piracy campaigns in China.
|
| Microsoft is searching for ways to make people
| pay for Windows (and rightly so) but the
| harder they make it and the more they lock the
| system down, the more attractive other options
| become.
|
| In August last year, four Chinese people were
| fined and sentenced to 3.5 years jail for
| distributing a pirated version of Windows XP,
| called Tomato Garden.
|
| Microsoft said:
|
|     âThe case served as a warning to anyone
|     thinking about knocking off Windows 7, a
|     new-generation Windows operating system.â
|
| Microsoft allowed the Chinese to pirate
| previous versions of Windows, but now with
| Windows 7 out itâs finally time to collect.
| This court case did serve as a timely reminder
| of the consequences of piracy, but will it
| have the desired effect that Microsoft is
| seeking?
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7669/1.html

"It's easier for our software to compete with Linux when there's piracy than
when there's not."

                                --Bill Gates

Recent:

Ubuntu Linux Clone Looks Like Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the next logical question: Do businesses
| and consumers want an Ubuntu Linux release
| that essentially looks and feels like Windows
| XP?
|
| Hmmmâ In The VAR Guyâs own home his kids
| already move seamlessly between Windows XP,
| Mac OS X and Canonicalâs more traditional
| Ubuntu user interface. The âmythâ that desktop
| Linux has a difficult learning curve is just
| thatâ a myth.
|
| And besides, it doesnât sound like Ylmf OS is
| pushing beyond China anytime soon. Stillâ you
| never can tell how software will potentially
| go viral across the web.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/01/05/ubuntu-linux-clone-looks-like-windows-xp/

US company sues China for Green Dam 'code theft'

,----[ Quote ]
| An American company has filed a $2.2bn
| (Â1.4bn) lawsuit in the US accusing Beijing of
| stealing lines of code from its internet
| filtering software.

China to nurture open source software development

,----[ Quote ]
| China intends to nurture the development of
| open source software in 2011-2015, according to
| the Ministry of Science and Technology.
`----

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/3713424

Research and Markets: 2008-2009 Annual Report on China's Open-Source Software
Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Research and Markets
| (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/379dcc/20082009_annual_r) has
| announced the addition of the "2008-2009 Annual Report on China's Open-Source
| Software Market" report to their offering.
|
| Vendors Involved: Red Flag Software Co., Ltd., Novell, China Standard
| Software, Red Hat, Turolinux, Redflag Chinese 2000, etc.
`----

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/technology/research-markets---annual-report-chinas-open-source-software-market/

China's Linux market sees massive growth

,----[ Quote ]
| SALES REVENUE in the Chinese Linux market shot through the bamboo roof during
| the first three quarters of 2008, up 17 per cent year-on-year, only to slow
| down a bit in the last quarter due to the slowing economic climate.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/975/1049975/china-s-linux-market-sees-massive-growth

International Open Source Comunity focus on China

,----[ Quote ]
| The OW2 Consortium, an independent industry community dedicated to developing
| open source middleware announced the launch of its Chinese web platform.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blogs/opensource/0,3800011233,63007799,00.htm

Chinese ordered to stop using pirate software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/12/03/chinese-ordered-away-pirate