[News] New Configuration Utility for LM_Sensors; Ext4 Praise

  • Subject: [News] New Configuration Utility for LM_Sensors; Ext4 Praise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 02:43:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

LM_Sensors Gets A New Configuration Utility

,----[ Quote ]
| There hasn't been a whole lot to report on
| in regards to LM_Sensors, the main sensor
| monitoring package and its kernel drivers
| for thermal/fan/voltage polling on Linux.
| It was nearly a year ago that LM_Sensors
| 3.1 was released, but since then we have
| run into plenty of new hardware (such as
| the ASRock ION 330HT-BD and ASUS Eee PC
| 1201N) that is not yet supported by drivers
| for LM_Sensors. While this does not improve
| the hardware support, a new sensor
| configuration utility has been unveiled for
| LM_Sensors.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzg3OA

The best Linux file system of all?

,----[ Quote ]
| The newest member of the Ext file system,
| Ext4, became an official part of Linux last
| year with the release of the Linux 2.6.28
| kernel. Since then, it's become the default
| file system in some popular Linux
| distributions such as Fedora, and it's now
| available on all distributions.
|
| Ext4 enables faster disk performance and
| better drive space management than its
| predecessors. While it also includes
| journaling, you can turn that off for a
| modest speed boost. I'm sure Google was
| also interested in it because even without
| disabling journaling, Ext4 is a very fast
| file system, and it supports file systems
| of up to 1 EB (exabyte) and up to 16 TB
| (terabyte)-sized files.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15413/the_best_linux_file_system_of_all

Recent:

Google Switching To EXT4 Filesystem

,----[ Quote ]
| An anonymous reader writes "Google is in the
| process of upgrading their existing EXT2
| filesystem to the new and improved EXT4
| filesystem. Google has benchmarked three
| different filesystems â XFS, EXT4 and JFS. In
| their benchmarking, EXT4 and XFS performed
| equally well. However, in view of the easier
| upgrade path from EXT2 to EXT4, Google has
| decided to go ahead with EXT4."
`----

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/01/14/2027255/Google-Switching-To-EXT4-Filesystem

Theodore Ts'o: Proud to be a Googler

,----[ Quote ]
| I have my own opinion regarding the IETFâs
| decision to meet in Beijing, since as weâve
| seen with the Search Engine industryâs attempt
| to accommodate the Chinese, engagement doesnât
| necessarily always lead to openness and
| goodness.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/featured-blogs/179:theodore-tso/276017:proud-to-be-a-googler