[News] More ACTA for Intellectual Monopolies and More Backlash

  • Subject: [News] More ACTA for Intellectual Monopolies and More Backlash
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:47:26 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Adding up the explanations for ACTA's "shameful secret"

,----[ Quote ]
| Why is an intellectual property treaty being
| negotiated in the name of the US public kept
| quiet as a matter of national security and
| treated as "some shameful secret"?
|
| Solid information on the Anti-Counterfeiting
| Trade Agreement (ACTA) has been hard to come
| by, but Google on Monday hosted a panel
| discussion on ACTA at its DC offices. Much of
| the discussion focused on transparency, and
| why there's so little of it on ACTA, even from
| an administration that has made transparency
| one of its key goals.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/actas-shameful-secret.ars

U.S. Ambassador David Jacobson â Intellectual Property Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, Ambassador, a lot of Canadians donât
| think U.S. Intellectual Property Laws are in
| the best interest of Americans or Canadians
| either. The Digital Millennium Copyright Act
| of 1998 comes to mind. Do you have any proof
| (specifically peer reviewed studies) proving
| that the DMCA has any benefit to the citizens
| of the United States? And if you donât have
| any proof, when do you intend to provide it?
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=117

Recent:

Oh, a new ACTA document

,----[ Quote ]
| How do you request it? Very simple, fill out
| the form and enter the document number
| 17779/09 as the document you request. Then
| the Council secretariat has 15 days to
| respond, either it would grant you access
| and submit the reasons for refusal.
|
| Here is stops for most persons. You have
| against 15 days for a confirmatory
| application. When the confirmatory
| application is denied you can complain to
| the EU-Ombudsman or sue the Commission.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/10/oh-a-new-acta-document/

Google DC Talk on ACTA