[News] Pardus Linux 2009.1 is Released and Reviewed (Looks Wonderful)

  • Subject: [News] Pardus Linux 2009.1 is Released and Reviewed (Looks Wonderful)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:32:17 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Pardus 2009.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Turkish GNU/Linux distribution Pardus
| 2009.1 has been released. Pardus is a Linux
| distribution developed as a product of the
| Pardus Project, by Turkish National
| Research Institute of Electronics and
| Cryptology (UEKAE), which is under the
| Scientific and Technological Research
| Council of Turkey (TÃBÄTAK) and by
| volunteered contributors. It is named after
| the Latin (and scientific) name for the
| Anatolian leopard, Panthera pardus
| tulliana.
`----

http://linuxcrunch.com/content/pardus-20091-released

My Pardus 2009.1 Experience

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus 2009 really rubbed me the right way.
| Pardus 2009.1 was just an confirmation of
| what I thought the first time around. I use
| GNOME in my everyday work and it's a real
| treat to explore such a great looking and
| behaving KDE distro. I've used many KDE
| distros but this is one of my favorites
| because everything flows so well, looks
| good, and is overall just easy to use.
| These are all big factors in getting
| newbies on board and keeping them there.
| Overall, definitely worth a look for basic
| Linux users and newbies.
`----

http://beginlinux.com/desktop_training/148-desktop-selection/1468-my-pardus-20091-experience

Recent:

Pardus Linux - An open-source Janissary

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is a really nice distro. I'm
| surprised it does not have a bigger user
| base. But it kind of figures out. Few
| people have heard of Pardus or had the
| chance to try it and find out just how
| great it is, myself included. But now that
| I've been exposed to its goodies, it's
| time to spread the word.
|
| Pardus wins you over by many great
| features, starting with a very soft,
| pleasant installation, followed by a
| smooth, streamlined desktop setup. Then,
| you get lots of great programs, cross-
| platform productivity out of the box,
| great looks, good performance and solid
| stability, and a whole lot of tiny details
| that you don't normally encounter.
|
| Pardus is truly a unique, refreshing
| change from the daily routine. The only
| bad thing I could find was proxy support
| and nothing else. It behaved phenomenally.
|
| Well, I am genuinely pleased. I warmly
| recommend you try Pardus and see for
| yourself. It's a small distro, so you
| might not be tempted. But don't let this
| distract you. In the worst case, you won't
| be won over and you won't be using it, but
| I doubt that. If you're a home user in
| search after a decent distribution that
| offers everything, you're in no mood for
| command line hacks and you just want to
| enjoy your desktop out of box, browse,
| chat with friends or listen to music,
| Pardus is a great choice.
|
| This Turkish distro is a very smart
| solution. The best thing you can do is
| help it grow bigger and gain more
| popularity. Sometimes, all it takes for a
| talent to break through is the critical
| mass of believers. Currently, Pardus is
| ranked #37 on DistroWatch and it
| definitely deserves better than that.
|
| Speaking of DistroWatch, you may want to
| read the review thither. Like most reviews
| of Pardus 2009, it speaks highly of the
| distribution. Many good points and some
| small problematic details I've not
| observed, definitely worth checking out.
|
| Thank you all who suggested Pardus. It's
| really great!
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pardus.html

Distro Review: Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Ease Of Installation & Setup: 4/5
| Stability & Speed: 4/5
| Community & Online Support: 3/5
| Features: 5/5
| Overall: 4/5
|
| Overall I had a lot of fun with Pardus and it may even have finally taught me
| the virtues of KDE, which was no small task indeed.
`----

http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/08/pardus2009/

Pardus 2009 firewall, NTP, and openSSH server configuration

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is a Linux, desktop-oriented distro that was just reviewed here. This
| post is to help you configure some very important aspects of the operating
| system that should have been enabled out of the box. Expert knowledge is not
| required to make these configuration changes, just the ability to point and
| click.
`----

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/08/13/pardus-2009-firewall-ntp-and-openssh-server-configuration/

First look at Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| While I had heard and read good things about Pardus for a few years now, I
| had never tried the distro until the 2009 release. I haven't been this
| enthusiastic about a new distro I've tried in quite some time. I didn't find
| any serious bugs which prevented me from working or which really got in my
| way at all. The implementation of KDE 4 is probably the best I've seen and
| represents the first time I've truly been comfortable working with the latest
| incarnation of KDE as my desktop environment. The implementation of Xfce is
| also first rate. Pardus also offers an excellent variety of unique graphical
| system administration tools that are intuitive and work as expected. Anything
| available in the GUI also has a command-line equivalent. In the case of PiSi,
| the Pardus package manager, the CLI edition also offers additional
| functionality.
|
| Pardus is generally very user-friendly. There are a few convenience features
| found in the major distributions, such as automated upgrade notification and
| automatic network interface switching, that are still lacking in Pardus.
| These aren't bugs but rather are missing niceties that I've gotten used to in
| other distros. The Pardus developers do encourage filing wish list items in
| their bug-tracking system and I may just have to add a few.
| Internationalization and localization is well done and is nearly, but not
| quite, complete for "unsupported" languages. It is very complete and
| functions flawlessly for officially supported languages. I found the forum,
| Wiki, and in general the English-language documentation for Pardus to be
| excellent. When I did post in the forum, I received a quick, friendly, and
| helpful response. That's all anyone can ask of the community behind any
| distribution.
|
| Pardus has a lot to recommend it and definitely rates a try for anyone who
| wants an excellent KDE 4 implementation. Pardus isn't perfect, but its flaws
| and shortcomings are relatively minor compared to many if not most other
| distributions I've tried, including recent releases of some of the big names
| in Linux. It's easy enough to install and use that I would certainly consider
| it a good candidate distribution for a new Linux user, yet it doesn't lack
| the features and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
| experienced user will desire. I am definitely impressed with Pardus 2009.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature

Review: Pardus 2009

,----[ Quote ]