[News] Linux is Dominant in Embedded Operating Systems, Achieved âDe Factoâ Status

  • Subject: [News] Linux is Dominant in Embedded Operating Systems, Achieved âDe Factoâ Status
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:53:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why embedded OS's are like mammals

,----[ Quote ]
| But what OS is in the box? Unsurprising
| perhaps is the dominance of Linux in this
| space. I should perhaps say unsurprising to
| me, as it does appear to have achieved a level
| of âde factoâ status among many of my old
| programming colleagues.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/17/evaluating_embedded/

Recent:

2010 kicks off era of hidden Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Next up, there will be much more virtual
| Linux, particularly in Microsoft and Windows
| shops that are enjoying greater integration
| and support of Linux from Redmond. This â
| along with the growing base of enterprise
| Linux users leveraging virtualization and
| additional commercial support from Red Hat,
| Novell, Canonical and others â will help
| fuel more virtual Linux traction and growth.
| However, donât expect Microsoft to talk too
| loudly about virtual Linux options and keep
| in mind we are still, even now in 2010,
| relatively early on in the enterprise
| adoption of server virtualization.
|
| Moving on, what better place for Linux to
| hide inconspicuously than in cloud
| computing? Weâve covered the significance of
| community Linux in the enterprise and also
| community Linux in the clouds. With more
| support for community software and growing
| desire to build private and hybrid clouds,
| Linux (both commercial and community)
| figures prominently into the equation as a
| basic, flexible yet scalable building block.
| The end result is both use of Linux to build
| cloud infrastructure and availability of
| Linux in the clouds, even though it is
| likely to be labeled or branded something
| other than âLinux.â
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2010/01/05/2010-kicks-off-era-of-hidden-linux/

PetaLogix Launches First Linux SDK for FPGA-based Embedded Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| FPGA software provider PetaLogix has just
| introduced its PetaLinux SDK, a new system
| development software product to allow
| designers to build, customize and employ
| Embedded Linux on Xilinx FPGA-based embedded
| processor applications.
|
| Introduced in conjunction with a design kit
| from Xilinx, the company claims that its
| PetaLinux SDK is the first commercially
| available Embedded Linux development
| environment specifically designed for FPGA-
| based embedded systems.
`----

http://www.embedded.com/products/softwaretools/222200393

Arium Embedded Linux Is Now Available

,----[ Quote ]
| AE Linux is a package that is targeted to
| developers who want a fast and easy solution
| to run an embedded Linux kernel on their
| Intel-based platform. This distribution uses
| the standard Linux build flow and is made
| from unmodified public distributions so that
| migration to newer or different Linux
| components is unencumbered.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/arium-embedded-linux-is-now-available,1106552.shtml

The Embedded Market Beds Down with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/embedded-market-beds-down-with-linux.html