[News] Heaps of New Success Stories for Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Heaps of New Success Stories for Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:21:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Boxee Beta â The Best Media Center App for Your TV

,----[ Quote ]
| The Boxee beta brings the best media the
| Internet has to offer and your personal
| media all under one roof. The interface to
| watch TV on Internet is clean and easy to
| browse with a remote, but works great with
| a mouse and keyboard if you donât have one.
`----

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/boxee-beta-an-app-that-will-change-how-you-think-about-television/

Gource: Open Source visualization of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| When I think about the challenges we face
| in America, which we are all coming to
| realize are a lot bigger, a lot more
| complex, and a lot more unavoidable and
| non-negotiable than we ever let ourselves
| believe in the past, and I look at the
| arguments against action that amount to
| "it's too difficult and too costly," I'm
| reminded of the truly democratic approach
| that Estonia demonstrated in 2008, and I
| wonder: what can we not do if we function
| as a community? The Gource visualization of
| the Cobbler project shows just how powerful
| a few visionaries and a strong community
| can be.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/499

Open Source BI Makes a Beginning

,----[ Quote ]
| Globally, open source BI solutions are in
| huge demand, with interest picking up in a
| huge way during the recession. Open source
| BI products from vendors such as Pentaho
| and Jaspersoft have evolved from being
| community-driven tools to being backed up
| by support from professional service
| vendors. In India, awareness levels are low
| and the market is at a nascent stage.
| However, the potential for adoption is huge
| âespecially among SMEsâa market that is
| made of over 6 million Indian enterprises,
| contributing to 42 percent of Indiaâs total
| exports.
`----

http://networkcomputing.in/Open-Source-BI-Makes-a-Beginning-001Jan010.aspx

Prediction #8: Open Source CEP Won't Impact the Market, But Open Source Will

,----[ Quote ]
| Although event processing platforms is
| robust and proven, there is still constant
| innovation in the space. Although the
| efforts of open source projects Esper and
| Cayuga are admirable they both miss the
| importance of simplicity through graphical
| event languages and powerful development
| tools. They also aren't proven for mission
| critical usage, or optimized for the high
| performance, low latency demands.
`----

http://streambase.typepad.com/streambase_stream_process/2010/01/open-source-cep.html

5 things I have learned from Free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| When one single governing body gains
| absolute control over something, it is only
| a matter of time before that governing body
| increases its power tremendously.  Many
| times, it does this in order to avoid vice,
| but counterintuitively, only ends up
| creating more of it in the process.  Take
| any modern established proprietary software
| company that started out in the 60âs or
| 70âs for example.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/01/5-things-i-have-learned-from-free-and.html

PTFS to Acquire LibLime

,----[ Quote ]
| Progressive Technology Federal Systems,
| Inc. (PTFS), an industry-leading library
| solutions provider and developer of the
| ArchivalWare digital library and content
| management software, has announced it will
| acquire LibLime, the global leader in open-
| source software solutions for libraries.
| The transaction is expected to close before
| the end of January 2010.
|
| "PTFS has supported ILS solutions for 15
| years and is committed to resolving
| community differences and advancing Koha
| open source library technology.  At a time
| when many libraries are experiencing budget
| cuts, PTFS's LibLime division plans to
| significantly enhance this highly cost
| effective library automation alternative,"
| commented John Yokley, PTFS CEO.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ptfs-to-acquire-liblime-81340717.html

GenISys, Juspertor Accelerate Design-Manufacturing Transition

,----[ Quote ]
| Juspertor originated from the Open-Source
| project LayoutEditor
| (www.LayoutEditor.net).
`----

http://www.nanowerk.com/news/newsid=14345.php

Businesses urged to embrace custom web hosting

,----[ Quote ]
| Small businesses can make significant
| savings by embracing open source software
| and web services, it has been claimed.
`----

http://www.globalgold.co.uk/web-hosting-news/custom-web-hosting/businesses-urged-to-embrace-custom-web-hosting-19557149.html

Never Mind the Valley: Here's Portland

,----[ Quote ]
| Entrepreneur and Urban Airship CEO Scott
| Kveton manages to keep a foot in both the
| open source community and the iPhone
| community. While Urban Airship focuses on
| building out iPhone infrastructure for
| developers, Kveton is also well known for
| working with Oregon State University to
| start the Open Source Lab - the first
| state-wide open source development
| curriculum. Coupled with the fact that
| O'Reilly's OSCON and the Linux creator
| Linus Torvalds call the region home,
| Oregon's developers understand the value of
| shared knowledge and community. When asked
| how the open source movement has shaped
| Oregon's entrepreneurs, Kveton replies,
| "Portland has a live free or die attitude.
| We engage in community and unlike other
| groups we really share our knowledge."
`----

http://www.readwriteweb.com/readwritestart/2010/01/never-mind-the-valley-heres-po.php

Systems on Chip LLC Announces the Wireless Open Source Developers Program

,----[ Quote ]
| Systems on Chip LLC, an Atlanta based
| wireless design firm, announced today the
| launch of Wireless Open Source, an online
| forum designed to allow developers to fast
| track wireless cellular hardware and
| software product development with minimal
| time and cost.

Gauging Your Open Source Appetite

,----[ Quote ]
| One issue that gives IT organizations cause
| for pause when it comes to open source is
| the whole issue of support. In particular,
| when it comes to open source applications,
| some IT organizations fret that the level
| of support they get from open source
| vendors in terms of help with the
| underlying operating system and middleware
| is not as deep as it is in comparison to
| providers of proprietary applications.
`----

http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/blogs/vizard/gauging-your-open-source-appetite/?cs=38774

Bob Mann joins Openbravo as new Chairman of the Board

,----[ Quote ]
| A leader in operating global companies, Mr.
| Mann directed the expansion of Siebel
| Systems in Europe in 1995, building its
| sales and marketing operations across the
| region.  Prior to his role at Siebel, he
| was Vice President at Legent, where he
| executed strategy to realize European
| revenues of $175 million.
`----

http://www.openbravo.com/about-us/press-room/news/139/bob-mann-joins-openbravo-as-new-chairman-of-the-board.php

Growing 100x through inbound marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source was an incredible calling card
| that we could use to determine what
| customers were interested in. Now we just
| needed to figure out how to harvest that
| interest.  It worked for MySQL as a
| startup, but how would these techniques
| apply in a bigger company like Sun?  Pretty
| well, as the graph below illustrates.
|
| We achieved more than 100-fold growth
| during the year in terms of top-of-funnel
| raw leads as well as qualified BANT
| (Budget, Authority, Need, Timeframe) and
| pre-BANT leads. And while there was
| sometimes skepticism that online marketing
| activities could generate real revenues, we
| finished calendar Q4 with a sales-accepted
| pipeline value that would be on par with
| what you might see in a 5- to 10-year-old
| startup company.
`----

http://www.theopenforce.com/2010/01/100x-growth.html

There's too much good news to keep track of.