[News] More Moves in Europe Towards Free Software and Standards

  • Subject: [News] More Moves in Europe Towards Free Software and Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:56:39 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU: European Parliament restart workgroup on open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of members of the European
| Parliament are about to start an informal
| cross party working group on 'new media,
| free and open source software and open
| information society'. The intergroup is
| expected to begin in February, with the
| support of the European People's Party
| (EPP), the Alliance of Liberals and
| Democrats (Alde) and the European Greens.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/eu-european-parliament-restart-workgroup-on-open-source-software

Towards an Interoperable Scientific Cloud for Europe

,----[ Quote ]
| Furthermore, a recent Expert Group Report
| on the Future of Cloud Computing produced
| with the support of the European Commission
| DG INFSO recommends that the European open
| source movement should work strongly with
| industry to support commercial cloud based
| service provisioning.
`----

http://www.hpcwire.com/topic/networks/Towards-an-Interoperable-Scientific-Cloud-for-Europe-81331842.html

HU: Open standards made mandatory for public administrations

,----[ Quote ]
| Open standards have been made mandatory for
| the IT systems of Hungary's public
| administrations. The Hungarian parliament
| voted in favour of amendments prescribing
| open standards, to a law on electronic
| government services, on 14 December. The
| changes received 197 votes in favour, one
| against and 146 abstentions, according to
| the Open Standard Alliance, a Hungarian
| advocacy group that lobbyed in favour of
| the amendments.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/hu-open-standards-made-mandatory-for-public-administrations

Not so open

,----[ Quote ]
| So, nearly a year later what has happened?
| One thing for sure is that UK government
| contracts haven't been flooding to open
| source companies - in fact there's no sign
| of any going to them.
|
| It's easy to dismiss Powell's musings as
| sour grapes from a company not benefiting
| from lucrative government contracts except
| I've also heard the same thing from an
| executive fromanother leading open source
| vendor, one who didn't want to be
| identified, but who was equally scathing
| about the government's procurement policy.
`----

http://blogs.techworld.com/the-blue-screen/2010/01/not-so-open/

Recent:

EP Intergroup: In Europe Left and Right for Free Software!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.april.org/en/ep-intergroup-in-europe-left-and-right-free-software