[News] Gigantic Ubuntu GNU/Linux Servers Make Good Films

  • Subject: [News] Gigantic Ubuntu GNU/Linux Servers Make Good Films
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:54:50 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

39,000-Core Ubuntu Server Cluster Renders Blockbuster Movies

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Paul, Ubuntu is at the core of
| all of this, running on all of the rendering
| nodes, and 90% of the desktops at Weta
| Digital. He notes that his cluster is in fact
| an Ubuntu Server cluster, and not RHEL as he
| has seen reported in the media.
`----

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/01/39000-core-ubuntu-cluster-renders.html

Recent:

Something Seriously Missing In Avatar Movie Reviews

,----[ Quote ]
| Where are the accolades for Linux?
|
| A review of the company that made the Linux
| computer graphics happen, known as WETA
| Digital (Wellington, New Zealand, a Peter
| Jackson spin off company), is notoriously
| absent from the articles.
|
| The underlying operating system, Linux RHEL
| (hundreds of HP blade servers running as Linux
| cluster) is also utterly absent from even the
| more technical news sources.
`----

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/avataruseslinux.shtml

What Lies at the Heart of "Avatar"?