[News] Censorship Runs Rampant

Italy proposes mandatory licenses for people who upload video

,----[ Quote ]
| Italy proposes mandatory licenses for
| people who upload video
| Italy's Berlusconi regime, already known
| around the world as an enemy of free
| speech and popular access to the tools of
| communication, has now floated a proposal
| to require Italians to get an "uploader's
| license" in order to put any "moving
| pictures" on the Internet. The government
| claims that this is required as part of
| the EU's product placement disclosure
| rules, which is about as ridiculous
| assertion as I've heard this month.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/16/italy-proposes-manda.html

12 Trends to Watch in 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| It's the dawn of a new year. From our
| perch on the frontier of electronic civil
| liberties, EFF has collected a list of a
| dozen important trends in law, technology
| and business that we think will play a
| significant role in shaping online rights
| in 2010.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/trends-2010

Drawing the âonlineâ line on free speech

,----[ Quote ]
| When and where do we draw the line on free
| speech?
|
| Thatâs âweâ as in you and I, and our
| fellow citizens â and the âwhereâ
| increasingly involves the Internet.
`----

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/commentary.aspx?id=22473

Google Attacks Highlight the Importance of Surveillance Transparency

,----[ Quote ]
| Ed posted yesterday about Google's
| bombshell announcement that it is
| considering pulling out of China in the
| wake of a sophisticated attack on its
| infrastructure. People more knowledgeable
| than me about China have weighed in on the
| announcement's implications for the future
| of US-Sino relations and the evolution of
| the Chinese Internet. Rebecca MacKinnon, a
| China expert who will be a CITP visiting
| scholar beginning next month, says that
| "Google has taken a bold step onto the
| right side of history." She has a roundup
| of Chinese reactions here.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/tblee/google-attacks-highlight-importance-surveillance-transparency

Turkey Blocking More Than 3,000 Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| The Organization for Security and
| Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), a human
| rights watchdog, called on Turkey today to
| reform or abolish its restrictive Internet
| policy.
|
| "At present, 3,700 Internet sites are
| blocked in Turkey, including YouTube,
| GeoCities, and Google sites," said Miklos
| Haraszti, an OSCE Representative on
| Freedom of the Media.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2010/01/18/turkey-blocking-more-than-3000-websites

Facebook users booted for hitting message limit

,----[ Quote ]
| Some Facebook users sending messages about
| the Haitian earthquake may have been a bit
| dismayed at times this week to find that
| they'd been booted off the site for
| suspicion of spamming.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/332740/facebook_users_booted_hitting_message_limit?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Recent:

Proposed Web video restrictions cause outrage in Italy

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2010/01/15/proposed-web-video-restrictions-cause-outrage-italy