[News] Microsoft "Lobbies" (Political Corruption) for Software Patents in Indian Standards

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft "Lobbies" (Political Corruption) for Software Patents in Indian Standards
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 03:38:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Steps to adopt open source standards draw flak

,----[ Quote ]
| Indiaâs open source software lobbyists
| allege that the countryâs proposed draft
| recommendations for adopting open
| technology standards and software for
| automating different government departments
| and functions, favours popular software
| solutions from large companies such as
| Microsoft.
|
| According to people familiar with the draft
| recommendations, a meeting of the apex body
| on Standards for eGovernance was held last
| week, and the policy is close to being
| approved. ET was shown a copy of the
| proposed recommendations by one of the
| persons who requested anonymity.
|
| [...]
|
| The most contentious point of the policy is
| that it includes standards which may be
| royalty free and non discriminatory (RAND)
| as compared to fair royalty free and non
| discriminatory (FRAND), which many experts
| had recommended.
|
| âThe entire standard should be royalty-free
| and not just the âessentialâ parts of it.
| In other words, All patent claims necessary
| to implement the standard should be
| royaltyfree. Also, royalty free on
| FRAND/RAND is self-contradictory. If a
| Standard is Royalty Free (RF) then it
| cannot be RAND,â says Venkatesh Hariharan,
| a blogger and expert on open source
| affairs.
`----

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/infotech/software/Steps-to-adopt-open-source-standards-draw-flak/articleshow/5475276.cms

Why we need Neelie (and some donât want her)

,----[ Quote ]
| This comes after her hearing last week. If
| you take a closer look at what Neelie told
| us in that hearing, I fail to see why it is
| wrong. However I fully understand that some
| other companies and organisations are
| alarmed. This is what she had to say wrt
| Open Standards (transcribed from the
| hearing which is ironically only accessible
| with non-open Microsoft stuff):
|
|     5- Digital society depends upon open
|     standards and interoperability. And
|     with this in mind, public organizations
|     should practice what they promote. If
|     they donât use open standards, why
|     should citizens? I will pursue this
|     from local authorities up to european
|     institutions. If public data such as
|     maps, weather information and health
|     advise is not interoperable, how can it
|     be exploited in new ways? And for such
|     reasons I want to explore new ways to
|     develop ICT standards in Europe.
|
| So Neelie wants to explore new ways, wants
| to enforce the use of open standards, wants
| to free public data. I am not going to tell
| you who might have a different opinion. But
| I am sure, my dear Lazyweb, that you know
| which company I am talking about.
`----

http://jan.wildeboer.net/2010/01/why-we-need-neelie-and-some-dont-want-her/

Recent: