[News] Internet Laws in Jeopardy in Europe, Net Neutrality Attacked with Copyrights

  • Subject: [News] Internet Laws in Jeopardy in Europe, Net Neutrality Attacked with Copyrights
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 03:44:44 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

OEIL: universal service telecom package part completed

,----[ Quote ]
| The telecom package pushed the European
| legislation process to its limits. Hopefully
| Kroes wonât make the same mistake as Reding
| and make proposals that can be easier
| processed and reviewed. Some stakeholders are
| still clouded by the fog of war. But we also
| have a very nice technical overview of the
| process.
`----

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/oeil-universal-service-telecom-package-part-completed/

Entertainment Industry Explains How True Net Neutrality Is Just Another Word For Theft

,----[ Quote ]
| With comments due last week on the FCC's
| proposed new net neutrality rules, we've
| already covered some of the filings, while
| noting the problems of carving out a
| special exemption for copyright. But, of
| course, that special exemption for
| copyright means everything to an
| entertainment industry that has no interest
| in adapting its business models. Both the
| RIAA and MPAA filed their own comments,
| which were pretty similar, and equally
| misleading. The RIAA's filing (pdf)
| repeatedly referred to copyright
| infringement as "theft" (you would think
| lawyers would know the difference) and
| insisted not just that there should be a
| copyright exemption, but that the FCC
| itself should require ISPs to act as
| copyright cops. The MPAA's filing (pdf) is
| almost a carbon copy of the RIAA's. There
| is very little difference between the two.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100118/0408327795.shtml

Recent:

Parties Lobby FCC on Net Neutrality