[News] Comparisons Between Key Toolkits and Desktop Environments

  • Subject: [News] Comparisons Between Key Toolkits and Desktop Environments
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:35:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

- From Gtk to Qt: Amarok, Knetworkmanager, and Kopete

,----[ Quote ]
| One app I didnât replace is Pidgin. Kopete
| works fine for me now (it used to complain
| that my password for MSN was wrong when it
| wasnât), but it doesnât have a couple of
| features I want. One I can forgive is that
| it doesnât allow you to save and use other
| peopleâs moving smileys. However, I want to
| be able to cycle between chat-tabs using
| ctrl-tab, something I couldnât even find in
| the Kopete shortcuts. That means that at
| the moment, Iâm staying with Pidgin.
`----

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/from-gtk-to-qt-amarok-knetworkmanager-and-kopete/

KDE vs. GNOME: Email Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from perhaps the web browser, an
| email reader is likely to be the first
| application configured on a new computer
| installation. And, if you are using a
| desktop, the default choice is likely to be
| KMail if you are using KDE, or Evolution if
| you are using GNOME.
|
| Both KMail and Evolution are thoroughly
| modern email readers, with few differences
| in general functionality. However, if you
| had to choose between them, what parts of
| the user experience might change your mind?
|
| To suggest an answer, I retraced the steps
| I made eight months ago when I moved from
| GNOME to KDE, comparing the two mail
| readers in everything from their interfaces
| to their features and configuration
| settings for accounts, contacts, message
| sending, and other functions. The result
| was a clear but not unqualified winner.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3859301/KDE-vs-GNOME-Email-Readers.htm

Recent: