[News] Patents Kill Children

Child malnutrition center of legal battle

,----[ Quote ]
| Mike Mellace only has to look at his 4-
| year-old son Ammanuel, brought home from an
| Ethiopian orphanage a year ago, to know
| what it means to save a child from
| malnutrition.
`----

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/16/child-malnutrition-center-legal-battle/

Patents Being Used To Keep Starving Children From Getting Therapeutic Food Paste

,----[ Quote ]
| We've seen way too many stories of patents
| being used to hold back medical treatments
| or drugs in communities that need them
| most, and now a few of you have sent in
| this troubling story of how a French
| company, Nutriset, has been using patents
| to block competition with its therapeutic
| food paste for malnourished children.
| Apparently, the company came up with "a
| mixture of peanut butter, powdered milk,
| sugar and vegetable oil fortified with 40
| vitamins and minerals," called it
| Plumpy'nut, patented it, and started
| offering it to various aid agencies.
| Apparently, it works great, but anyone else
| who creates anything remotely similar comes
| under attack from Nutriset's lawyers, who
| apparently like saving children only when
| there's no competition from anyone who
| might do it more cheaply or more
| efficiently.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100118/0344477794.shtml

How to Improve Patent, Copyright, and Trademark Law

,----[ Quote ]
| As I note in my article "Radical Patent
| Reform Is Not on the Way," Mises Daily
| (Oct. 1, 2009), there is a growing clamor
| for reform of patent (and copyright) law,
| due to the increasingly obvious injustices
| resulting from these intellectual property
| (IP) laws.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002334

Related: