[News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes Emergency Patch (The "Emergency" of Losing Market Share)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Makes Emergency Patch (The "Emergency" of Losing Market Share)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:19:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

German government IE warning leads to spike in Firefox downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a warning last Friday from the German
| Federal Office for Information Security (Bundesamt
| fÃr Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik, BSI)
| concerning the security hole in Internet Explorer
| (IE), Mozilla has said that it has recorded a "huge
| increase" in the number of Firefox downloads in
| Germany. According to a post by Mozilla's Ken Kovash
| on the Mozilla Blog of Metrics, more than 300,000
| downloads of the open source browser took place during
| the recent Friday to Monday period. Similarly, Opera also
| reportedly saw downloads of its browser in Germany more than double.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/German-government-IE-warning-leads-to-spike-in-Firefox-downloads-908864.html

MS to issue emergency patch for potent IE vuln

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will release an emergency upda
| te
| that patches the Internet Explorer
| vulnerability used to breach the security
| defenses of Google and other large companies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/19/microsoft_emergency_patch/

Microsoft to patch hole in Internet Explorer

Who cares if IE is patched soon?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is now promising us that they'll
| have a patch for the latest IE security hole
| ... real soon now. So what? This problem,
| while it's been exploited the most in IE 6, it
| exists in all modern versions of IE and it can
| be exploited in every version of Windows from
| Windows 2000 to Windows 7. And, I'm supposed
| to trust that Microsoft will 'patch' it right
| this time and that it won't blow up on me
| again? I don't think so.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/93253/who-cares-if-ie-patched-soon

Related:

Malware, Spam, and other Net Pests Rev Up

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of malware detections has grown by almost half a million since the
| end of the year, jumping from 500,000 total detections to 900,000.
|
| "I have a nasty feeling that the situation is getting worse, not better",
| says Mikko Hypponen, chief research officer for the security vendor.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147701/malware_spam_and_other_net_pests_rev_up.html

New Massive Botnet Twice the Size of Storm

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=150292&WT.svl=news1_1