[News] Microsoft Thug Who Personally Paid Obama Gives Him Policy Instructions to Harm Google

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Thug Who Personally Paid Obama Gives Him Policy Instructions to Harm Google
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:48:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft calls on government for clearer cloud policies, regulations

,----[ Quote ]
| During a visit to Washington, D.C., this
| morning, Brad Smith, Microsoft's general
| counsel, asked the U.S. government to overhaul
| its laws to make cloud computing more secure
| and private, and to make it easier for cloud-
| computing providers and law enforcement
| officials to track down and prosecute online
| attackers.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2010/01/qa_microsoft_calls_for_clearer_cloud_computing_regulations.html

Recent:

Microsoft Taps Pryor To Lobby Senate

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired David Pryor Jr. as director of government affairs, where
| he will lobby the Senate.
|
| The company's newest lobbyist has family ties to the Senate. His father, is
| former Sen. David Pryor, D-Ark. and his younger brother is Sen. Mark Pryor,
| D-Ark. who was elected in 2002.
`----

http://undertheinfluence.nationaljournal.com/2009/03/microsoft-taps-david-pryor-jr.php

Suite Talk March 27, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| FedEx lobbyist David Pryor Jr. is joining Microsoft as director of government
| affairs for the Senate.
|
| Heâll lead the software giantâs efforts in lobbying the Senate, handling
| pressing economic, education and health issues and promoting online security
| polices.
|
| Pryorâs younger brother is Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.); their father is former
| Sen. David Pryor (D-Ark.).
|
| âDavidâs extensive work with Congress and with various federal agencies and
| his strong relationships give him the ability to advance Microsoftâs goals on
| Capitol Hill,â said Microsoftâs managing director for U.S. government
| affairs, Fred Humphries.
`----

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20562.html

Utah Allows Elected Official To Lobby... And Vote For Bill Her Company Is
Pushing

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, there's Rep. Jennifer "Jen" Seelig, who voted for the bill. But, that
| shouldn't be surprising. You see, even though she's an elected official in
| the state legislator, she's also still employed as a registered lobbyist for
| 1-800 Contacts, the company that has been pushing the bill. Apparently that
| sort of conflict of interest isn't seen as a problem in Utah.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090319/0227384177.shtml

Why Do Newspapers Keep Publishing Bogus Piracy Numbers From Lobbyists As Fact?

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest gullible reporter? Tony Wong of the Toronto Star, who has written
| an article that probably could have been written every year for the last
| decade about the awful threat of piracy to the satellite TV industry. What's
| amusing is that it really does look just like an article years ago, even
| quoting bogus 2001 "piracy" stats and then just saying "that number is likely
| far higher today." But the reporter does nothing to verify this at all. He
| then goes on to talk about how the satellite TV companies are "fighting
| back," with a "tough new encryption system.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090318/0157004163.shtml

Freeing Journalists From Newsprint's Straitjacket

,----[ Quote ]
| Moving online will give the PI vastly more flexibility to adapt to changing
| market conditions and focus on those areas where they can create the most
| value. The PI says they'll have about 20 people producing content for the new
| web-based outlet. That's a lot fewer than the print paper employed, but it's
| enough to produce a lot of valuable content. And now that they're freed of
| the costs and constraints of newsprint, and the expectation to cover every
| topic under the sun, it'll be a lot easier to experiment and find a
| sustainable business model.

`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090316/1933274141.shtml

Since When Did We Give Lobbyists From The Tech, Entertainment And Pharma
Industries Security Clearance?

,----[ Quote ]
| With the new administration sticking by the old one in declaring negotiations
| over the ACTA treaty somehow a matter of national security as a way of
| avoiding revealing any info about the proposed treaty or its ongoing
| negotiations, the folks over at KEI have pointed out the long list of
| corporate lobbyists who have been involved in the negotiations, including
| those from the RIAA, MPAA, ESA and a long list of tech, telco and pharma
| companies.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090317/0144084145.shtml

Related:

Microsoft Finds Legal Defender in Justice Dept.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly a decade after the government began its landmark effort to break
| up Microsoft, the Bush administration has sharply changed course by
| repeatedly defending the company both in the United States and abroad
| against accusations of anticompetitive conduct, including the recent
| rejection of a complaint by Google.
|
| [...]
|
| In the most striking recent example of the policy shift, the top
| antitrust official at the Justice Department last month urged state
| prosecutors to reject a confidential antitrust complaint filed by
| Google that is tied to a consent decree that monitors Microsoft's
| behavior. Google has accused Microsoft of designing its latest
| operating system, Vista, to discourage the use of Google's desktop
| search program, lawyers involved in the case said.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/business/10microsoft.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Microsoft sets spinners on court verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may have lost in court, but it quickly tried to win the war of
| media reaction via organisations like CompTIA, the Computing Technology
| Industry Association and ACT (the Association for Competitive Technology)
| which both intervened in court on its side.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/17/reaction_microsoft_verdict/

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Report Says Nonprofits Sold Influence to Abramoff

,----[ Quote ]
| E-mails released by the committee show that Abramoff, often
| with the knowledge of the groups' leaders, exploited the tax-exempt
| status and leveraged the stature of the organizations to build
| support among conservatives for legislation or government action
| sought by clients including Microsoft Corp., mutual fund company
| DH2 Inc., Primedia Inc.'s Channel One Network, and Brown-Forman,
| maker of Jack Daniel's whiskey.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/12/AR2006101200889.html
http://tinyurl.com/y2rbpu

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing on the theme of which politicians are receiving money from
| who. Here is a list of candidates who took money from MSFT.
`----

http://www.fonz.net/blog/archives/2007/06/04/politicians-in-microsofts-pocket/

Politics and tech companies: follow the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft took first place with $651,100 given out, while
| Hewlett-Packard gave only $185,550, and Gateway gave a paltry
| $2,000. Microsoft's donations certainly illustrate well the true
| size of the company and the extent of its political concerns.

Microsoft Paid Lobbyist $160,000

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Paid Paid Bingham McCutchen $160,000 to Lobby Federal Gov't in
| First Half of 2007
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070905/microsoft_lobbying.html?.v=1

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss