[News] Ubuntu Family Comes Under Some Fire for Proprietary Software Policy

  • Subject: [News] Ubuntu Family Comes Under Some Fire for Proprietary Software Policy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 17:35:42 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

http://identi.ca/notice/19447629

"Updated ur1.ca/jtms : #Canonical is now encouraging #Ubuntu users to use
proprietary software from IBM. #Red_Hat history repeats itself."

Survey request and comments

,----[ Quote ]
| We are trying to gather preferences for the
| apps that users would like to see in
| upcoming version of Ubuntu. While we all
| believe in the power of open source
| applications we are also very keen that
| users should get to choose the software
| they want to use. There are some great apps
| that aren't yet available to Ubuntu users
| and Canonical would like to know the
| priority that users would like to see them.
| This list is indicative not definitive and
| we would love to also read your suggestions
| in the free text box.

Proprietary Software and Linux: Good, Bad or Somewhere in Between?

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical is looking into selling
| proprietary software like Adobeâs Photoshop
| and Appleâs iTunes within its distribution,
| Ubuntu. This would undoubtedly be helpful
| for certain end users wanting to switch to
| Linux, but is it good for free software in
| the long run?
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7677/1.html

Canonical Offers Dedicated Support Program for Lotus Symphony, the Core
Component of IBM Client for Smart Work on Ubuntu

Ubuntu Linux and proprietary software - Let the demand decide.

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/01/ubuntu-linux-and-proprietary-software.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+luqman+%28GHABUNTU%29

Ubuntu: More Apps, Lower Support Costs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, the Ubuntu community has launched a survey to determine which additional applications users would like to see easily installed on Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/01/20/ubuntu-more-apps-lower-support-costs/

Recent:

Lotusphere photos: Ubuntuâs Peter Woodward and Tux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.sutor.com/c/2010/01/lotusphere-photos-ubuntus-peter-woodward-and-tux/