[News] Advances Made by Openness/Transparency and Open Access

  • Subject: [News] Advances Made by Openness/Transparency and Open Access
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:20:54 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mik Kersten on transparency

,----[ Quote ]
| Mik, pictured here, is CEO at Tasktop
| Technologies. He attributes much of the
| success at Mylyn to the projectâs
| transparency.
`----

http://blog.symbian.org/2010/01/14/mik-kersten-on-transparency/

Some professors using alternatives to expensive textbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Independent book publishers are also a part
| of a unique initiative: attempting to
| implement open-source textbooks in classrooms
| across the country.
`----

http://www.statepress.com/node/10054

Nina Paley vs. Jaron Lanier

,----[ Quote ]
| The one point that really does need to be
| refuted is that he seems to believe that
| artificial scarcity somehow makes people pay.
| He talks about the importance of a "social
| contract" to have people "pay for others'
| brains." He says "people need to be secure
| that they're earning their dignity and don't
| need to sing for their supper every night."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100121/0919097856.shtml

Recent:

EU: Open Universities open source master published first two books

,----[ Quote ]
| The first two course books have just been
| published online for what is intended to
| become a university master programme on
| free and open source software and open
| standards.
|
| The online master programme, Free
| Technology Academy (FTA) is organised by
| the University of Agder in Norway and two
| of Europe's open universities, the
| Universitat Oberta de Catalunya in Spain
| and the Open Universiteit in the
| Netherlands. Coordination is handled by the
| Free Knowledge Institute, based in the
| Netherlands.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/eu-open-universities-open-source-master-published-first-two-books

Open data in France: the state of play

,----[ Quote ]
| Like in many countries, the first steps
| into open data came from the research and
| the Free and Open Source Software (F/OSS)
| communities. WikiMedia France and
| OpenStreetMap.fr are probably the most
| popular open knowledge projects in France.
| Early websites like Mon-Depute.fr â a vote
| monitoring project created by an archivist
| â or droit.org â a very active project from
| lâEcole des Mines on legal publication â
| helped a lot to make democratic data
| available. Our work at Regards Citoyens on
| parliamentary activity with NosDÃputÃs.fr
| and on electoral data is a new step for
| French open data for democracy and civil
| society.
`----

http://blog.okfn.org/2010/01/20/open-data-in-france-the-state-of-play/

Obama Administration Considers More Public Access To Publicly Funded Research

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100115/0038317770.shtml