[News] Civil Rights of Speech Defended But Censorship Spreads Too

  • Subject: [News] Civil Rights of Speech Defended But Censorship Spreads Too
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:26:18 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Clinton praised for Internet freedom speech

,----[ Quote ]
| Clinton's announcement that fighting
| Internet censorship would be a top priority
| for the Department of State is welcome news
| for dissidents in Iran, said Ashraf, co-
| founder of AccessNow.org, a group focused
| on providing Internet tools allowing
| freedom of expression.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/333472/clinton_praised_internet_freedom_speech?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

1984 film classification law gets reboot

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyone hoping that 2010 was the year when
| they could produce smut or violence for
| direct release to DVD, without undergoing
| the tiresome process of having their work
| checked and classified by the British Board
| of Film Classification, can hit pause now.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/21/film_classification/

Polish Internet Users Against the Censorship of the Net

,----[ Quote ]
| Polish government wants to enforce Internet
| filtering to eliminate online gambling and
| child pornography. Everything for the
| benefit of our children, as this is the
| argument which is hard to stay against.
|
| However, a notable group of Polish lawyers,
| journalists, academics, enterpreneurs,
| politicians and bloggers think otherwise
| and signed a letter (written by myself,
| btw) to President of Poland, Lech
| KaczyÅski, asking him to turn the law down
| (in Polish legal system, president has the
| right to do this, but the parliament can
| then overcome presidentâs opposition if 2/3
| of the delegates vote for it).
`----

http://polishlinux.org/poland/polish-internet-users-against-the-censorship-of-the-net/

Four More Inducted Into The Streisand Effect Hall Of Shame

,----[ Quote ]
| For the record, here are the EFF's four
| latest inductees:
|
|     * Peabody Energy, for issuing
|     outstandingly spurious trademark claims
|     against a spoof site criticizing their
|     "clean coal" group;
|     * Yahoo, for an impressive attempt to
|     return a cat to the bag after a leak of
|     its guide to snooping services for law
|     enforcement was posted to a
|     whistleblower site;
|     * Perez Hilton and the Miss Universe
|     Organization for endeavoring to stop a
|     non-profit from airing an ad commenting
|     on a public same-sex marriage
|     controversy initiated by their videos;
|     and
|     * Universal Music Group, for attempting
|     to muzzle online criticism of the
|     rapper Akon.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100120/1706147841.shtml

Recent:

Why the Kankakee County Farm Bureau hates net neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| The Kankakee County Farm Bureau wants to
| stop net neutrality. So does the Erie
| Neighborhood House, along with Downtown
| Springfield Inc, Big Brothers/Big Sisters
| of Will and Grundy Counties, and the mayor
| of North Chicago.
|
| The organizations all share several things:
| they are located in Illinois, they want the
| FCC to focus on broadband adoption rather
| than net neutrality, and... they all have
| connections to AT&T.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/01/why-the-kankakee-county-farm-bureau-hates-net-neutrality.ars

Italian Courts, latest score: Berlusconi 1; YouTube 0

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://the1709blog.blogspot.com/2009/12/italian-courts-latest-score-berlusconi.html