[News] [Rival] Internet Explorer Already Highly Vulnerable Again, Firefox Carries on Gaining

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Internet Explorer Already Highly Vulnerable Again, Firefox Carries on Gaining
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:58:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Expert finds vulnerabilities in Microsoft browser

,----[ Quote ]
| A security research firm said it discovered
| another set of vulnerabilities in Internet
| Explorer, a day after Microsoft Corp patched
| the Web browser following a high-profile
| cyber attack on Google in China.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60L5O820100122?type=technologyNews

IE is so secure we just had to build an OS out of it.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsofts new Gazelle concept is the
| greatest thing to hit Linux or the computer
| industry as a whole ever. According to
| Microsoft, Gazelle is a secure web browser
| constructed as a multi-principal OS. I never
| thought I would live to see the day that
| Microsoft announces its own suicide.
|
| I also never imagined that you could become
| a top executive and yet be so absolutely
| clueless as to sell an idea to the board
| that will mark their own demise and yet be
| so blinded by greed that the obvious has
| become a non issuing factor.
`----

http://www.buntfu.com/news,page,79,topic_id,content_pages

Firefox, Opera downloads surge after IE security scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet browsers Firefox and Opera have
| experienced a massive surge in downloads
| since the security flaw in Microsoft
| Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) was exposed.
|
| Firefox owner Mozilla claims it has
| experienced more than 300,000 extra
| downloads over a four-day period in Germany
| that started last Friday. Opera downloads in
| Germany amounted to over 18,000 in a day
| over last weekend.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/enterprise/firefox-opera-downloads-surge-after-ie-security-scare-20100121-mnez.html

Chinaâs Strange Fixation on IE6

,----[ Quote ]
| The scene in China is markedly different.
| Tons of websites, including commonly used
| ones, have been constructed and tested to
| work with IE6 only, without consideration of
| web standard (W3C), non-IE browsers
| (Firefox), or non-Windows platforms (Linux).
| This proliferation of non-standard websites
| is partly the result of ignorance. Remember
| the recent Green Dam fiasco? Green Dam was
| designed to block undesirable websites, but
| it only works if you access the web with IE.
| If you use Firefox, Green Dam has no effect.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/ligong/2010/01/22/china%E2%80%99s-strange-fixation-on-ie6/

Recent:

Widespread Attacks Exploit Newly Patched IE Bug

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187413/widespread_attacks_exploit_newly_patched_ie_bug.html?tk=rss_news