[News] Intellectual Monopolies Realise Sharing Works for Them, MAFIAA Don (Dan Glickman) Leaves

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Realise Sharing Works for Them, MAFIAA Don (Dan Glickman) Leaves
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:03:30 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Director Of The Hitler Downfall Movie Likes The Hundreds Of Parody Clips

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps if you've been living under a pop
| culture rock for the past few years, you
| were unaware of the popular hobby of
| creating subtitled videos of an angry Hitler
| reacting to something going on in the world
| today, using a clip from the German movie
| Downfall.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100118/0414537797.shtml

MPAA Boss Doesn't Even Make It To The End Of His Contract

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, right after the rumors, Glickman
| came out and announced that he would be
| stepping down at the end of his contract in
| September of 2010. So it seemed like maybe
| the studios would let him stick around to
| the end, since it was clear he wasn't coming
| back. Apparently even that plan has been
| thrown out the window, as Glickman has now
| announced that he's leaving as of April 1 in
| order to take over Refugees International,
| which seems like a worthy enough cause.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100122/0912377871.shtml

Mother Who Banned File-Sharing Still Held Responsible

,----[ Quote ]
| A mother who doesnât understand computers
| and forbade her children from downloading
| and sharing music on the Internet has been
| held responsible for their actions. A court
| in Germany ruled that parents simply banning
| file-sharing is not enough, and this has to
| be followed up to check compliance.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mother-who-banned-file-sharing-still-held-responsible-100120/

Pirates Are The Music Industryâs Most Valuable Customers

,----[ Quote ]
| Once again the music industry has come out
| with disappointing results for physical
| music sales, which they blame entirely on
| file-sharing. What they failed to mention
| though, is that their findings show that
| music pirates are buying more digital music
| than the average music consumer. Since
| digital music is the future, pirates are the
| industryâs most valuable customers.
|
| Have you ever heard one of the major movie
| studios complaining about the decrease in
| sales of VHS tapes? We havenât. The music
| industry on the other hand continues to
| blame the decrease in physical sales on
| digital piracy, ignoring the fact that
| thereâs a generation growing up that has
| never owned a physical CD.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirates-are-the-music-industrys-most-valuable-customers-100122/

Verizon ends service of alleged illegal downloaders

,----[ Quote ]
| But a year after the RIAA made its
| announcement, not one major ISP had
| acknowledged supporting the RIAA's plan. The
| question raised by Henson's statement is
| whether Verizon has quietly signed on. An
| RIAA representative declined to comment.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10437176-93.html

More on Verizon and its antipiracy efforts

,----[ Quote ]
| To date, not a single major ISP has publicly
| acknowledged adopting a graduated response,
| yet Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast have for some
| reason stepped up the issuing of warning
| letters.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10439144-261.html

Kinsella Free Talk Live Interview on Reducing IP Costs

,----[ Quote ]
| I was interviewed yesterday by Mark Edge, as
| part of his "Edgington Post Interview
| Series," for his Free Talk Live radio show,
| about my Mises Daily article, "Reducing the
| Cost of IP Law."
`----

http://blog.mises.org/archives/011509.asp

IP and Aggression as Limits on Property Rights: How They Differ

,----[ Quote ]
| The IP advocate's argument is dishonest. He
| says, well, my IP rule limits your property
| rights, but so do all property rights. So
| what's the big deal? The big deal is that
| the only limits we recognize are that you
| may not violate others' property rights!
| Murder or normal theft or trespass is
| obviously an instance of this. But using my
| own property peacefully is not! The IP
| advocate needs to show that my use of my own
| DVD somehow interferes with his own property
| in his own scarce resources. Obviously, it
| cannot. So, it fall back on IP itself: it
| says, well, it doesn't violate B's physical
| property, but it does violate his
| intellectual property. Hellooooo--THIS is
| the circularity. The circular reasoning is
| done by the IP advocates, NOT by the
| libertarian who is simply a consistent
| opponent of aggression.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002367

'Pants on the Ground' Guy: Show Me the Money!

,----[ Quote ]
| "General" Larry Platt -- the musical
| mastermind behind "Pants on the Ground" --
| hasn't seen a dime since everyone and their
| mother started singing his tune ... and now
| he's lawyering up in the hopes of finally
| raking in some cash.
`----

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/21/pants-on-the-ground-general-larry-plat-american-idol-lawyer/

Recent:

Obama: Stop Filling Administration with RIAA Insiders

,----[ Quote ]
| Nearly two dozen public interest groups, trade pacts and library groups urged
| President Barack Obama on Thursday to quit filling his administration with
| insiders plucked from the Recording Industry Association of America.
|
| The demands came a week after the Justice Department, fresh with two RIAA
| attorneys in its No. 2 and No. 3 positions, announced the administration's
| support of $150,000 in damages for each music track purloined on a
| peer-to-peer file sharing program. The administration, moreover, has just
| declared as classified the inner workings of worldwide intellectual property
| trade pact. And Hollywood is urging Obama to embrace internet filtering as
| the content industry seeks to cut internet access to repeat copyright
| violators.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/04/obama-stop-fill.html

MPAA boss Dan Glickman: on his way out

,----[ Quote ]
| Glickman wonât be laughing these days.
|
| TorrentFreak reports heâs been told his services will no longer be required,
| and we had an email - no doubt prompted by the TF report - saying the same.
|
| So who will the Hollywood moguls find to replace him? And can it be done
| within 18 months?
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/19601

MediaDefender Buys MediaSentry

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the departure of founders Randy Saaf and Octavio Herrera, the
| future for MediaDefender looked even more uncertain than it did previously.
| However, those concerned that their favorite anti-piracy spoofing company
| might drift away, fear no more. MediaDefenderâs parent company just acquired
| everyoneâs favorite anti-piracy tracking company, MediaSentry
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-buys-mediasentry-090403/

Related:

The Biggest Ever BitTorrent Leak: MediaDefender Internal Emails Go Public

http://torrentfreak.com/mediadefender-emails-leaked-070915/

Hollywood steps up for ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
`----