[News] Person Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better and Another Explains How It's Different

  • Subject: [News] Person Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better and Another Explains How It's Different
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 04:32:35 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A question asked - why I use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a long and drawn out answer. It isn't
| a simple question.
|
| I've been using computer systems for more
| than twenty years, from micros to mainframes,
| so I'm no beginner. I was in on Microsoft
| operating systems from DOS 3.2 and I dabbled
| with Linux for a number of years. It was only
| recently that I made the full switch.
|
| The drive towards Linux has been partly
| because of what Linux offers, but more
| because of what Microsoft doesn't, or rather
| how their company works. Apple are the same.
`----

http://life-of-a-stranger.blogspot.com/2010/01/question-asked-why-i-use-linux.html

How Linux Differs from Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Since churches and ministries are always
| looking for ways to save money, learning as
| much as you can about free computer software
| alternatives is a good idea. Operating
| systems like Windows Vista and Ubuntu Linux
| do pretty much the same things, but in
| different ways.
|
| Cost and licensing
|
| Linux operating systems are published under
| open source licenses that make the source
| code available to everyone. Microsoft
| products, including Windows Vista and XP, are
| protected by copyright and other intellectual
| property laws. As for cost, most Linux
| distributions are free and can be used on an
| unlimited number of computers. Windows
| operating systems are expensive, and legally
| each license can only be used on one
| computer.
`----

http://westlocknaz.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-linux-differs-from-windows.html

Recent:

Licensing Woes of Proprietary Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't get me wrong, migrating away from any
| proprietary application can be very time
| consuming and costly. However, in the big
| picture, migrating to open source software
| will save in the long run. The migration is a
| one-time move, after that move is done no
| more upgrades and licenses need to be
| purchased ever again. There are also many
| many other bonuses to using open source
| software that will add up over time. Open
| source software is free as in freedom, and is
| developed by the community, not a single
| entity behind closed doors.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,2000643222b,00.htm?new_comment

The Windows 7 License can make you love free software

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/The-Windows-7-License-can-make-you-love-free-software