[News] Censorship and Degradation of Civil Rights All Around the World

  • Subject: [News] Censorship and Degradation of Civil Rights All Around the World
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 05:56:04 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Judge bans media from woman's trial in Henry County

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think the defendant's rights to a fair
| trial trump the First Amendment," he said.
`----

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100118/NEWS02/1180320

Supreme Court says jury selection should be in public

,----[ Quote ]
| The Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that the
| constitutional right to a public trial in
| criminal cases means that jury selection,
| including questioning of prospective jurors,
| should not be done behind closed doors.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60I4DD20100119

Google Welcomes Clintonâs Call for Uncensored Web (Update3)

,----[ Quote ]
| Google Inc., clashing with the Chinese
| government over Web censorship, praised U.S.
| Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for
| calling for an unrestricted Internet where
| people can operate without fear of
| repression.
|
| âAt Google we are great believers in the
| value to society of unfettered access to
| information,â the company said in a statement
| today. Google said it will work with
| governments, human-rights organizations and
| bloggers to promote free expression and
| increased access to information.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-01-21/google-welcomes-clinton-s-call-for-uncensored-web-update1-.html

Russian Whistleblower Cop Arrested

,----[ Quote ]
| Remember the Russian cop's YouTube narrative
| on police corruption? Reader Max_W writes
| with the news that Alexei Dymovsky, the cop
| whose videos started a movement, was arrested
| (Google translation; Russian original) on
| January 22, 2010. He is in prison in the
| south of Russia. Max_W adds: "It seems only a
| president is allowed to have a video blog in
| Russia."
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/01/23/2127230/Russian-Whistleblower-Cop-Arrested

PayPal Freezes the Assets of Wikileaks.org

,----[ Quote ]
| "Paypal has as of 23rd of January 2010 frozen
| WikiLeaks assets. This is the second time
| that this happens. The last time we struggled
| for more than half a year to resolve this
| issue. By working with the respected and
| recognized German foundation Wau Holland
| Stiftung we tried to avoid this from
| happening again â apparently without avail."
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/10/01/23/2138204/PayPal-Freezes-the-Assets-of-Wikileaksorg

Another Privacy Concern

,----[ Quote ]
| Suffice to say that it, 'clixpy', records
| everything I do when online to the text
| portal, key strokes, mouse movements,
| selections made etc., as shown by a live demo
| on clixpy.com, if I use a web browser. So it
| appears to be very intrusive and I'm
| extremely concerned for my privacy.
|
| What is the reason for 'clixby's presence? Is
| it a consequence of new UK laws or EU
| regulations, or is it something else.
| WHATEVER, I *DON'T* LIKE IT! Makes me think
| of PHORM.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014928o-82191b,00.htm

Russian journalist dies after beating in police custody

,----[ Quote ]
| Russia's police force was today at the centre
| of another national scandal after a
| journalist beaten in custody died in hospital
| from his injuries.
|
| Konstantin Popov, 47, was arrested two weeks
| ago in his home town of Tomsk, Siberia, after
| neighbours complained that he was drunk and
| playing his guitar too loudly.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/21/journalist-safety-russia

Recent:

Lundy plays good cop to Conroy's bad cop

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week at the annual Australian national
| Linux conference in New Zealand, Waugh, a
| former self-styled open source advocate, was
| using loads of  tired bizspeak to promote
| the so-called open government policy  - but
| she avoided saying anything about the
| filter. When someone dd try to engage her on
| the subject, she did a deft sidestep.
|
| Meanwhile, yesterday, at the closing
| ceremony of the same conference, the other
| half of the family, Jeff, was urging people
| to black out their avatars on their social
| networking sites to protest against the
| policy.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30665&Itemid=1090

Internet Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| The prepared text of U.S. of Secretary of
| State Hillary Rodham Clinton's speech,
| delivered at the Newseum in Washington, D.C.
|
| [...]
|
| But it's also the smart thing to do. By
| advancing this agenda, we align our
| principles, our economic goals, and our
| strategic priorities. We need to create a
| world in which access to networks and
| information brings people closer together,
| and expands our definition of community.
|
| Given the magnitude of the challenges we're
| facing, we need people around the world to
| pool their knowledge and creativity to help
| rebuild the global economy, protect our
| environment, defeat violent extremism, and
| build a future in which every human being
| can realize their God-given potential.
`----

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/01/21/internet_freedom?page=full

Clinton praised for Internet freedom speech

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/333472/clinton_praised_internet_freedom_speech?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1