[News] [Rival] Microsoft-NPD FUD (US-Only Nonsense), Caught in the Act

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft-NPD FUD (US-Only Nonsense), Caught in the Act
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 06:24:59 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft clarifies NPD claims

,----[ Quote ]
| 10m sales figure referred to global numbers,
| not the US, platform holder explains
|
| Platform holder Microsoft has clarified a
| statement that it released earlier today that
| appeared to claim that Xbox 360 sold 10m
| units in the US in 2009 â a number that
| didnât correspond with official NPD figures.
`----

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37179/Microsoft-clarifies-NPD-claims

Sony says PS3 sold 3 million units in UK

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wii is leading the market easily
| worldwide with 56 million units sold globally.
`----

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/21385.cfm

Spencer: Project Natal launch 'fraught with risk' for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to Eurogamer, Microsoft Game Studios
| head Phil Spencer responded to criticism that
| Microsoft takes fewer risks than Sony in
| first-party development by referencing
| Project Natal -- "if there isn't risk in
| Natal then I don't know what's keeping me up
| at night."
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/20/spencer-project-natal-launch-fraught-with-risk-for-microsoft/

Wireless controller for the PlayStation coming in fall

,----[ Quote ]
| Japanâs Sony has announced it will postpone
| for the fall 2010 launch of its wireless
| controller with motion sensor for PlayStation
| 3, which is the second delay of a major
| product launch in a short time after âGran
| Turismoâ. In any case, reach before âProject
| Natalâ for Xbox 360.
`----

http://newstrendstoday.com/wireless-controller-for-the-playstation-coming-in-fall/03483

Recent:

EVO Game Console Goes Live

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the Envizions Computer Entertainment
| Corporation announced it will be
| broadcasting its first annual live coverage
| of the official EVO open source game
| console, called EVO, on Nov. 20, 2009. The
| broadcast will be streamed on the company
| Web site at EnvizionsCorp.com
| (http://www.envizionscorp.com), at Facebook
| and at Ustream.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-11-20-007-35-PR-GM-HW

New Tool Enables Turning Xbox 360 to Other Operating Systems Like GNU/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Easy Fix to Prevent Microsoft From Bricking
| Xbox 360s HDDs Arrives
|
| Microsoft opposes modding because it claims
| that the modding community is promoting
| piracy.  It also opposes the installation
| of third-party operating systems (such as
| Linux) on the Xbox 360, a popular mod.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Easy+Fix+to+Prevent+Microsoft+From+Bricking+Xbox+360s+HDDs+Arrives/article16851.htm

Nov. 5: EVO Open Source Game Console From Envizions Set To
Officially Release With Feature And Performance Enhancements

,----[ Quote ]
| EVO, the first open source game console, is
| expected out of beta Nov. 5, 2009. EVO is
| the first fully supported open source game
| console designed for both mainstream and
| open source users. The company sold several
| beta units to resellers and customers with
| excellent feedback.
`----

http://eworldwire.com/pressreleases/211330

Linux game console ready to ship

,----[ Quote ]
| Envizions announced that it is taking orders for an open-source Linux gaming
| system, and will start shipping beta units to game developers, resellers, and
| software partners on April 10. The EVO Smart Console is based on a 2.4GHz
| Athlon, and includes a Fedora-based Linux distro.

Linux Game "System of Tomorrow" Ships in Two Weeks

,----[ Quote ]
| The EVO Smart Console was originally scheduled for release on November 18th.
| It seems the FCC approval and testing process is taking longer than planned.
| Envizions expects the consoles to ship in the next two weeks. There are also
| two versions (in four configurations) available.
`----

http://ostatic.com/177043-blog/linux-game-system-of-tomorrow-ships-in-two-weeks

Linux Gaming Console Coming in November

,----[ Quote ]
| Envizions Computer Entertainment announced recently that the Linux-based EVO
| gaming console will be available for sale November 18.
|
| There have been dedicated gaming consoles that are able to run Linux, namely
| the PS3. In these cases, Linux made the console function more as a home
| computer than a gaming rig. The EVO system uses Linux to power the games.
`----

http://ostatic.com/175717-blog/linux-gaming-console-coming-in-november

EVO Smart Console: Playstation Competition?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/evo_smart_console_playstation_competition