[News] Featureful GNU/Linux is Coming to PlayStation 3

  • Subject: [News] Featureful GNU/Linux is Coming to PlayStation 3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 05:28:53 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Once impenetrable PS3 cracked wide open

,----[ Quote ]
| The feat greatly expands the functionality
| of the box by allowing it to run
| unrestricted versions of Linux and a wide
| range of games that are currently forbidden.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/25/playstation_cracked_wide_open/

PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker

,----[ Quote ]
| A US hacker who gained notoriety for
| unlocking Apple's iPhone as a teenager has
| told BBC News that he has now hacked Sony's
| PlayStation 3 (PS3).
|
| George Hotz said the hack, which could allow
| people to run pirated games or homemade
| software, took him five weeks.

Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot

,----[ Quote ]
| I have read/write access to the entire system
| memory, and HV level access to the processor.
| In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest
| is just software. And reversing. I have a lot
| of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps
| of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND
| without removing it or a modchip.
`----

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html

Recent:

Ubuntu On Your PS3 â Ready Made Games Emulation!

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier in the year, the guys at Gizmodo put together a fantastic guide to get your PS3
| running Ubuntu. With the release of the new Slim model and inevitable rush to dust off
| our old consoles, it is a good time to revisit the article. In the words of John
| Mahoneyâ.
`----

http://www.gamekicker.com/Playstation-3/Ubuntu-On-Your-PS3-Ready-Made-Games-Emulation

Should Ubuntu âSoftware-Storeâ Be Renamed?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, there is nothing wrong with the option to do this, and any paid application
| will face a tough time when up against free and just-as-capable application of the same
| ilk. Yet some feel it will distort the user experience of Ubuntu â and perhaps lead
| open-source devâs away into solely âpaidâ development.
`----

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/09/softwarestore-name-change.html

Linux to Remain in Older Model PS3s

,----[ Quote ]
| With Linux install getting the boot from the slimline PS3, you might have
| been concerned that Sony would pull a fast one and make the functionality
| disappear from older systems via a firmware update.
`----

http://www.gamekicker.com/Playstation-3/Linux-to-Remain-in-Older-Model-PS3s

The PC in a Console: Linux on the Sony PS3

,----[ Quote ]