[News] More Moves to Free Software in EU and US Government

  • Subject: [News] More Moves to Free Software in EU and US Government
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 11:45:32 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

European Parliament To Restart The Workgroup On Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of members of the European
| Parliament are about to start an informal
| cross-party working group on 'New Media,
| Free and Open Source Software and Open
| Information Society'. The intergroup is
| expected to begin in February 2010, with the
| support of the European People's Party
| (EPP), the Alliance of Liberals and
| Democrats (Alde) and the European Greens.
`----

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/32905

The Bugs in Mayor's Open Source Software Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| So what does it mean for San Franciscans?
| Not much, yet. It will probably be a few
| years before the city realizes significant
| savings, much less improved efficiency and
| interoperability. And for open source
| developers in San Francisco, it will
| probably be a long time before city IT
| employees (or citizens) are enabled or
| empowered to contribute to the codebase of
| open source software on city time or for the
| city's benefit. But hey, the taxpayer-funded
| Web site built for Newsom is apparently
| powered by open source solutions, so there's
| that.
`----

http://sfappeal.com/business_tech_re/2010/01/the-bugs-in-mayors-open-source-software-announcement.php

Open-source Austin

,----[ Quote ]
| While there is no way most cities can
| compete with national and state governments
| in terms of scandal and sleaze, there are
| many ways they can enhance public awareness
| and involvement. One innovative way to do
| this is by adapting open-source software.
|
| San Francisco recently enacted the nationâs
| first open-source software policy for city
| government, and Austin should follow because
| it will save the city millions, lead to
| greater public involvement and improve how
| our city runs.
|
| Open-source software is software for which
| the source code is free to access and modify
| and not copyrighted. Essentially, it means
| that anybody who wants to can access the
| software and improve upon it. This is ideal
| for city government because it allows the
| public to collectively utilize its talent to
| improve the way the city runs.
`----

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/opinion/open-source-austin-1.2147951

Recent:

Why Open Source is the New Software Policy in San Francisco

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://mashable.com/2010/01/22/open-source-san-francisco/