[News] Microsoft and GNU/Linux Don't Mix Well

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft and GNU/Linux Don't Mix Well
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 04:35:22 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft and Linux Will Never Be "Best Buddies"

,----[ Quote ]
| I just read an article called: Life after
| Windows: What happens to tech if Microsoft
| dies?" The article made me think of what it
| really would be like without Microsoft. I
| didn't like it. We need Microsoft over there
| competing with us. No matter what happens to
| the economy, to the PC hardware format or to
| the demographic of the common computer user;
| Microsoft and Linux will never be "best
| buddies." And I know that "Linux" includes the
| major commercial Linux players: Novell, Red
| Hat and Canonical. I know that Novell and Red
| Hat have both crossed enemy lines with
| agreements but to think that the two camps
| will ever kiss, makeup and live happily ever
| after is pure fantasy. Frankly, I like it that
| way.
`----

http://www.daniweb.com/news/post1111915.html

Recent:

Attack of the Patent Proxies

,----[ Quote ]
| This is truly bizarre. Why would Microsoft unload a bunch of âLinux-
| focused patentsâ - stuff you would think it would fondle lovingly as it
| ruminated endlessly on the damage they might do in terms of FUD, if
| nothing else. But no, not only does Microsoft sell them, but they end up
| in positively the worse place possible, from Microsoft's point of view:
| a Linux-friendly bunch with the avowed aim of keeping such patents
| safely locked away.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2505&blogid=14

Microsoft Linux-bashing hits a nerve

,----[ Quote ]
| Clearly, Microsoft has increasingly been spreading fear, uncertainty, or
| doubt (FUD) about Linux, as it has about Apple's Mac OS X in its recent
| "Laptop Hunters" TV ads. Last month, Dell Computer took it upon itself
| to stand up and refute Microsoft statements about high Linux netbook
| returns, saying that Dell's Linux returns were roughly equivalent to
| those for Windows-based netbooks. Canonical has also questioned
| Microsoft's statements about netbook returns. Meanwhile, anecdotal
| evidence suggests that Microsoft has been increasing its pressures on
| both PC vendors and retailers to steer clear of Linux netbooks.
|
| Microsoft appears to be taking Linux seriously, despite the fact that by
| some counts Linux represents only a single percentage of the overall PC
| market (others place it higher, but not by much). In an SEC filing
| posted this summer, Microsoft added Linux distro vendors Canonical and
| Red Hat to its list of perceived competitors for Microsoft's Client
| division.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3377584759.html?kc=rss

Patently Opaque