[News] GNU/Linux and Good Employment Increasingly More Synonymous

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux and Good Employment Increasingly More Synonymous
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 04:41:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why There is no Kernel Hacker Sell-Out

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the talks that I saw came from Jon
| Corbet, who gave a run-down on recent
| changes to the Linux kernel. A statistic
| that he mentioned along the way has
| garnered much comment: the fact that "75%
| of the code comes from people paid to do
| it.â In particular, some have leapt on this
| figure as proof that kernel coders have
| âsold outâ, and that the famed altruistic
| impulse behind free software is dead. I
| think this is nonsense.
|
| In my view, this 75% figure indicates two
| things. First, that *most* of the top
| kernel hackers are being paid to code.
| That's really great news, because it means
| that people can earn money doing what they
| love, and aren't obliged to starve in
| garrets. Secondly, it means that very large
| computer companies regard the kernel as so
| important that they are prepared to pay
| these people good salaries to work on it.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2753&blogid=14

Linux Market Needs More Talent

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation today announced a free
| Linux training Webinar series and an
| expanded set of courses and course
| locations for its existing training
| program. There is no coincidence that this
| shortly follows the Foundationâs recent
| jobs board announcement.
|
| Linux is experiencing significant growth in
| every category of computing. The new
| products and systems based on Linux you see
| announced every day will be deployed for a
| very long time. A shortage of qualified
| people to support this ecosystem could
| potentially slow Linux growth.
|
| In order to keep Linux growing at its
| current record pace, the Linux Foundation
| and its members have made a strategic
| decision to address this increase in demand
| for Linux professionals with programs such
| as the jobs board, the new training
| offerings and, as always, its fellowship
| program.
`----

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2010/01/linux-market-needs-more-talent

Linux Foundation to World: Get a Job!

,----[ Quote ]
| Jobs have been the collective focus of much
| of the US population over the past two
| years. Whether it's keeping the job they
| have, or finding a new position in a very
| tight job market, US workers are looking
| for all the help they can get with
| employment. It's much the same in the rest
| of the world, too.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/94103/linux-foundation-world-get-a-job

Recent:

Forbes prescribes open source for the unemployed

,----[ Quote ]
| Unemployed? Take a lead from the great open source entrepreneurs, and have a
| slice of open source cake, suggests Sramana Mitra in an interesting Forbes
| article that goes on to profile Apache and CollabNet Founder Brian
| Behlendorf, SugarCRM Founder John Roberts, and SpringSource Founder Rod
| Johnson.
`----

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS7431065143.html?kc=rss

First days at Red Hat, first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I took my first trip to the USA, ever, this week and it was down to
| Raleigh, NC, for orientation with Red Hat. Iâd like to say it was an
| experience (meaning the trip), but it wasnâtâ I was mostly fighting too hard
| to stay awake so it all really seems like a haze already. =) I guess only
| getting 1.5hrs of sleep the first night, and only 5 the second, will do that
| to you.
`----

http://linsec.ca/blog/2009/02/04/first-days-at-red-hat-first-impressions/

Red Hat bucks the trend