[News] Uncivil Rights Lead to Censorship, Free Software Among Victims

  • Subject: [News] Uncivil Rights Lead to Censorship, Free Software Among Victims
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:55:16 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

SourceForge no longer serving open source to US sanctioned countries

,----[ Quote ]
| The company says it deeply regrets "that
| these sanctions may impact individuals who
| have no malicious intent, along with those
| whom the rules are designed to exclude" but
| says that until either the countries are
| removed from the sanctions list, or the US
| administration changes policy, the blocking
| must remain in place.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SourceForge-no-longer-serving-open-source-to-US-sanctioned-countries-914042.html

John Gaunt's case is an important test for freedom of speech

,----[ Quote ]
| I regret the chilling effect that will be
| felt in publishing and broadcasting even if
| Gaunt wins his case - and the prospect of
| him losing is an appalling prospect for
| those who cherish free speech in this
| country.  So we here at Big Brother Watch
| are rooting for John today.
`----

http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/2010/01/john-gaunts-case-is-an-important-test-for-freedom-of-speech.html

Recent:

China slams Clinton's call for Internet freedom

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9147298/China_slams_Clinton_s_call_for_Internet_freedom