[News] Rough Sketch of Best GNU/Linux Desktop and Shop

  • Subject: [News] Rough Sketch of Best GNU/Linux Desktop and Shop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 05:54:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

And the best Linux desktop distro of all is...

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't have to go with Dell though. Other
| major hardware vendors like HP and Lenovo
| also offer pre-installed Linux on desktop
| systems. I'm loath to recommend them though
| because, frankly, they make it very hard to
| find their Linux-powered systems. Your better
| choice is to go with a smaller company that
| stands behind its Linux PCs like Los Alamos
| Computers, system76, or ZaReason. For a more
| comprehensive list of companies that sell
| computers with Linux ready to go see LXer's
| Pre-Installed Linux Database.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/94373/and-best-linux-desktop-distro-all

Recent:

Petition for the refund of OEM Licenses in the EU

,----[ Quote ]
| Dear Sir or Madam,
|
| REF: Unclear refunds of OEM Licenses in Europe
|
| Legally one could assume that a customer chooses what he/she wants to
| buy. However it is still impossible today to buy a laptop / computer
| without a Microsoft license or to have a refund of said Microsoft
| software, if you do not agree to the Microsoft Licensing policies in
| which is clearly stated :
|
| âBy using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept
| them, do not use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or
| installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit.â
|
| Windows Vista_Home Premium_English_b6fbe7e6-f312-4692-8aee-
| f5b3d60987b4.pdf
|
| However this clearly stated OEM License Policy cannot be executed by said
| customer.
|
| For a fact, you can only see the license when you are using the software,
| in most cases the license is not included on paper with the software and
| in most cases not even in the language of the said customer.
|
| For a fact the manufacturer or installer refuse to refund or even refer
| to Microsoft to obtain a refund, which clearly is in violation of the
| said OEM License Policy. Weâd like to urge the European Commission to
| take action and to make it possible to apply the License Policy of
| Microsoft and the law in favor of the consumer.
|
| We have studied the Licenses of the majority of Microsoft Operating
| Systems and have discovered that they all apply.
`----

http://softwarepushers.com/

Kamp mod Microsoftskatten

http://phk.freebsd.dk/MicrosoftSkat/

Fighting against the Microsoft Tax

,----[ Quote ]
| I have paid for at least 10 Windows licenses over time, all the machines were
| purchased to run only FreeBSD.
|
| We must stop this distortion and Lenovo would not reimburse the Vista license
| for my new laptop, I have chosen to sue them.
`----

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fphk.freebsd.dk%2FMicrosoftSkat%2F&sl=da&tl=en

Does the Windows ballot screen for choosing a browser represent meaningful progress in Europe?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/ballot-screens