[News] GNU/Linux Comes to British Schools, British Stock Market

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Comes to British Schools, British Stock Market
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:00:01 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux in the school office

,----[ Quote ]
| We had all but given up on the FOSS MIS in UK
| schools and had resigned ourselves to
| virtualising an MS server instance on what
| otherwise would have been a pure Linux server
| stack just to run SIMS.
|
| However, it seems to me now to be a MIS-take!
| To elaborate on this it is necessary to look
| at the trends in the market.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2763&blogid=17

LSE and Intel

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs news that the London Stock Exchange
| plans to move to GNU/Linux within 12 months.
| There is also a story on Groklaw about
| GNU/Linux meeting the needs of Intel better
| than that other OS ten years ago. GNU/Linux is
| a great OS.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/01/25/lse-and-intel/

Recent:

Troubled Â12bn NHS IT system to be scaled back

,----[ Quote ]
| The government is to scale back its Â12bn NHS
| IT system in what the Tories are calling a
| "massive U-turn".
|
| Chancellor Alistair Darling said he would be
| delaying parts of the scheme in Wednesday's
| pre-Budget Report as it was "not essential to
| the frontline".

Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-U.K.-government-on-Microsoft-policy/2100-1012_3-6212721.html
http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2