[News] Mode of Openness and Collaboration Passes to Areas of Content

  • Subject: [News] Mode of Openness and Collaboration Passes to Areas of Content
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 03:47:20 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Business of the House

,----[ Quote ]
| We are entering an era in which the mark of
| an open society is the way in which it
| guarantees access to open knowledge through
| the internet. It is therefore vital that
| liberal democracies do not send mixed
| signals to closed societies that seek to
| restrict internet freedoms for their
| citizens. The anti-counterfeiting trade
| agreement that is being discussed in Mexico
| might inadvertently do that, so may we have
| a debate in the House so that hon. Members
| can test that notion and find out more
| about our negotiating position?
`----

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debate/?id=2010-01-28a.955.3

The commons as a common paradigm for social movements and beyond

,----[ Quote ]
| We can only promote the commons as a new
| narrative for the 21st century if they are
| identified as a common denominator by
| different social movements and schools of
| thought. In my point of view, enforcing the
| commons would be not only possible, but
| strategically intelligent. Here are 15
| reasons why:
|
|    1. The commons are everywhere. They
|    determine our quality of life in great
|    many ways. They are present (even though
|    often invisible) in the social, natural,
|    cultural and digital sphere. Think about
|    the things we use to learn (read and
|    write), the things we use to move (land,
|    air and sea), the things we use to
|    communicate (language, music and code),
|    the things we use to feed and heal
|    (land, water, medicine) or the things
|    our reproduction depends on (genes,
|    social life). The commons is about how
|    we share and use all these things.
`----

http://commonsblog.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/the-commons-as-a-common-paradigm-for-social-movements-and-beyond/

GEEKS AND GLOBAL JUSTICE: ANOTHER (CYBER)WORLD IS POSSIBLE by Kate Milberry

,----[ Quote ]
| This dissertation is an exploration of
| alternative visions of social organization
| beyond the horizon of capitalism.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/blog/geeks-and-global-justice-another-cyber-world-possible-kate-milberry

Drug Discovery, Open-Source Style

,----[ Quote ]
| âWe are putting into practice the
| philosophy of open-source software: that
| given enough eyeballs, all bugs are
| shallow.â So says Zakir Thomas, project
| director of Open Source Drug Discovery, or
| OSDD. Established in India, OSDD has
| established a novel open-source platform
| for both computational and experimental
| technologies to make drug discovery for
| infectious and neglected diseases cost
| effective and affordable to the people of
| the developing world.
`----

http://www.bio-itworld.com/2010/01/26/OSDD.html

Recent: