[News] Intellectual Monopolies Backlash Goes a Long Way Back

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Backlash Goes a Long Way Back
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 04:06:14 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Copyright Issues Go Back a Long Way

,----[ Quote ]
| Charles Dickens was angry at those American
| publishers in 1842 when he arrived in
| Montreal following a trip to the United
| States.  Stephen Leacock notes in his book
| Charles Dickens, His Life and Work, that
| Dickens wrote home:
|
|     Is it not a horrible thing that
|     scoundrel booksellers should grow rich
|     here from publishing books, the authors
|     of which do not reap one farthing from
|     their issue by scores of thousands; and
|     that every vile, blackguard and
|     detestable newspaper, so filthy and
|     bestial that no honest man would admit
|     one into his house for a scullery
|     doormat, should be able to publish
|     these same writingsâ?
|
| In 1880, the copyright issue was still
| around.  In November, the Literary and
| Debating Society at the Mechanicsâ
| Institute of Montreal had this item as a
| subject of debate: âIs the action of the
| American Publishers respecting copyright
| likely to advance literature?â
`----

http://montrealhistory.org/2010/01/copyright-issues-go-back-a-long-way/

What Can We Learn from Gift Economies?

,----[ Quote ]
| 3. It seems like a gift economy would be a
| whole lot easier to operate than a barter
| economy. Would that advantage be the reason
| gift economies, rather than barter
| economies, were so widely adopted
| historically?
`----

http://campfire.theoildrum.com/node/6160

Of Art and Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| It would be absurd if the amazing
| possibilities of digitising museum and art
| collection holdings were squandered because
| of a short-sighted and misguided obsession
| with copyright. We need to nip this in the
| bud, and get some leading institutions to
| come out in favour of disseminating their
| holdings in this way. If we don't we've
| decades of lock-down in front of us, just
| when things should be available to all.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/01/of-art-and-copyright.html

EU's Gallo Report: Rubbish Recycled

,----[ Quote ]
| I've noted several times an increasingly
| popular trope of the intellectual
| monopolists: since counterfeiting is often
| linked with organised crime, and because
| counterfeiting and copyright infringement
| are vaguely similar, it follows as surely
| as night follows day that copyright
| infringement is linked with organised
| crime.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2010/01/eus-gallo-report-rubbish-recycled.html

IFPI Claims That Three Strikes Can Surgically Remove One Family Member From The Internet, But Not The Rest

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps the folks at the IFPI don't quite
| understand how the internet works (or
| perhaps that's a given) but generally
| speaking, when you have internet access at
| your house, you don't set up separate
| access accounts for every family member...
| And if others in the family have access,
| what's to stop the "cut off" one from using
| the other's access?
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100127/1306367944.shtml

What's A Bigger Entitlement Mentality? Demanding Old Business Models Must Remain... Or Liking Free Stuff?

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently times are hard over at ECN
| Magazine. Rather than come up with
| compelling content to draw people in, its
| Technical Editor decided to pen the mother
| of all troll-baiting editorials. NSILMike
| points us to Jason Lomberg's recent rant on
| The Internet Entitlement Mentality, which I
| think may set a record for repeating pretty
| much every long-debunked fallacy about
| online content and business models, as well
| as how it describes those folks who
| actually understand basic economics, and
| how free works as part of an economic
| ecosystem.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20100119/1135047818.shtml

Neutralize UK File-Sharing Legal Threats â Join TalkTalk

,----[ Quote ]
| This week the condemnation of file-sharing
| âlegal blackmailâ lawyers ACS:Law has been
| widespread, with extremely harsh words
| coming from the countryâs House of Lords.
| Despite this the law firm are unrepentant
| and say they will persist with their
| campaign. It is, however, possible to
| immunize your family from this growing
| threat.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/neutralize-uk-file-sharing-legal-threats-join-talktalk-100129/

Why I Think the Times Charging for Online Access is a Bad Idea, and How I Think They Could and Should Make Money

,----[ Quote ]
| Is it reasonable to question how data, as
| an unproven but potential revenue source
| for the New York Times, would compare to
| the direct monetization scheme currently
| proposed? Of course. But given that one
| negatively impacts users, and one does not,
| I know which one I would try first. Not
| that they need be mutually exclusive, of
| course, but I would exhaust all of my
| options before embarking upon a course of
| action that might materially and
| permanently impact my relationship with my
| customer.
`----

http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2010/01/22/nytimes-paywall/

Corporate Copyright Scofflaws 0003

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve marked some names in blue, and the
| reason Iâve marked them in blue is that
| Sound Exchange is supposed to be
| responsible to musicians, and the names in
| blue are remoras. For those who donât know
| what a remora is, itâs a fish which
| attaches itself to larger marine animals,
| like sharks or whales to get a free ride.
| It offers nothing back to the animal is
| rides, nothing at all, and it couldnât
| exist without itâs ride.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=232

Recent:

Is IP another bubble about to burst? A view from another civilization.

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opensource.com/law/09/12/ip-another-bubble-about-burst-view-another-civilization