[News] Video: Multitouch Works in GNU/Linux, New DistroWatch Weekly

  • Subject: [News] Video: Multitouch Works in GNU/Linux, New DistroWatch Weekly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 05:23:40 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Multitouch screens in Linux/Xorg/GTK+

http://vimeo.com/9043676

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 338, 1 February 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| User-friendliness of computer operating
| systems is something that gets often
| discussed in open-source software circles.
| But adding features that are designed to
| attract more new users isn't always viewed
| positively in some hard-core geek
| communities. This week's feature story
| examines a case of a developer who was met
| with a hostile reception when he tried to
| present his easy-to-use live CD to an
| unforgiving group of OpenBSD hackers. In the
| news section, Sun Microsystems closes its
| corporate web site, but what does that mean
| for some of its popular products? Also in
| this week's issue, we investigate the idea of
| converting the ext3 file system to the newer
| ext4, take a look at Ubuntu's controversial
| deal with Yahoo, and link to an article that
| reveals a little-known, but useful Mandriva
| feature. All this and more in this week's
| issue of DistroWatch Weekly - happy reading!
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100201

Recent:

Multitouch Gestures on Linux? You Got It!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Most Linux distros donât yet support
| multitouch screens out of the box, but that
| doesnât matter, because Franceâs ENAC
| Interactive Computing Lab has put together a
| video demonstrating multitouch on a PC
| running Fedora 12 on what looks to be be a
| 10-inch touchscreen display.
`----

http://torrentbomb.com/news/multitouch-gestures-on-linux-you-got-it/501

Linux + Multitouch display = open source 10 fingered goodness

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to emulate these results, youâll need
| the Linux kernel 2.6.31, a modified version of
| X.org 1.7, and supported hardware and drivers.
| So weâre not quite at the point where you can
| just pick up a netbook with a multitouch
| display, install Fedora or another Linux
| distro, and expect to tap your way to bliss
| with up to 10 fingers on the screen. But weâre
| getting closer.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/12/linux-multitouch-display-open-source-10-fingered-goodness.html

Linux touchscreen advances

,----[ Quote ]
| French development group at ENAC have developed native multitouch using the
| Linux 2.6.30 kernel, and can support swipe, flip, rotate and pinch-resize
| gestures...
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/open-source-linux/2009/06/linux-touchscreen-advances.html

Multitouch screencast overload