[News] Novell's CTO Quits, Praises Software Patents, Community Manager Quits Too as Microsoft Stops Coupons

  • Subject: [News] Novell's CTO Quits, Praises Software Patents, Community Manager Quits Too as Microsoft Stops Coupons
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 11:22:28 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Looking BackwardsâLooking Forwards

http://www.novell.com/ctoblog/?p=186

Novell - Software Patents = Success

,----[ Quote ]
| I find it hilarious and interesting that
| Novell considers a large number of software
| patents as a good thing. It seems to use
| this as a measure of their success. This is
| against the community belief that software
| patents are bad and immoral. This is a
| dangerous idea when you consider how much
| free and open source software is written by
| Novell. How much software could they force
| us not to use because of patents?
`----

http://www.pwnage.ca/?q=node/12

The Innovative People of Novell

,----[ Quote ]
|     Inventive people who write more
|     software patents per capita than
|     anywhere else.ï
|
| Software patents: A Novell metric for
| success.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/the-innovative-people-of-novell/

Well, maybe they can make Microsoft MVP de Icaza the new CTO... would
be a good fit foe Novell...

Microsoft exhausts coupons for SUSE Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has distributed nearly all of the
| US$240 million worth of SUSE Linux
| Enterprise Server subscription certificates
| that it purchased from Novell as part of a
| 2006 patent indemnification pact, the
| companies said.
|
| [...]
|
| Controversy surrounding the indemnification
| agreement inspired a provision in the GNU
| General Public License v3 that bars similar
| patent agreements going forward.
|
| "Generally speaking, most software
| companies have attacked each other with
| patents; software patents are quite a drain
| on productivity of the software industry in
| this regard," said Bradley Kuhn, a policy
| analyst and tech director at the Software
| Freedom Law Center, which provides legal
| services to Linux companies.
|
| "But I am not readily aware of anything
| specific between Novell and Microsoft
| before their deal. If it was a large enough
| dispute that it made it to court, the court
| records would presumably show if there
| was."
`----

http://www.sdtimes.com/link/34094

Wanted: Community Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| Brockmeier has done a pretty good job while
| at Novell, coordinating the community and
| marketing efforts around the popular
| openSUSE distro. It goes without saying
| that getting him on board lent a lot of
| legitimacy to Novell's business deal with
| Microsoft in 2006. Brockmeier has a lot of
| respect in the community, so when he calmly
| explained why Novell hadn't made a deal
| with the devil, people listened.
|
| I personally did not like Novell's decision
| to partner with Microsoft--in particular
| the patent protection agreement that
| prompted a knee-jerk response from the free
| software community to change GPL v3 during
| its draft phase. At the time, I voiced the
| opinion that if Microsoft wanted to have
| integration so badly, it could do it
| without patent cooperation agreements.
|
| [...]
|
| It will be interesting to see who lands in
| the now-open Community Manager spot at
| Novell. Those are going to be some big
| shoes to fill.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/94750/wanted-community-manager

Constant Zonker

,----[ Quote ]
| I was mildly interested to see if Joe
| âZonkerâ Brockmeier would continue  to
| spread his special brand of so-close-to-a-
| lie-why-not-just-call-it-that distortions
| once he left Novell. Well, now we have an
| answer:
|
| Yes.
|
| And â brace yourself for a shock here â he
| is targeting the FSF. Again.  This time
| around, though we are treated to simple
| poor reason instead of the previous gross
| misrepresentations of Monsieurs Stallman
| and Moglen.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2010/01/constant-zonker/

Recent:

So long and thanks for all the Geekos!

,----[ Quote ]
| January 31st will be my last day with Novell.
|
| I've given it a great deal of thought, and
| decided that it's time to move on.
`----

http://www.dissociatedpress.net/2010/01/25/so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-geekos/

Novell and Microsoft cut out the GPL cancer from open-source Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/24/novell-and-microsoft-cut-out-the-gpl-cancer-from-open-source-sil/