[News] "Ubuntu User" Starts Issuing Publications, Next Ubuntu Wallpapers Seen

  • Subject: [News] "Ubuntu User" Starts Issuing Publications, Next Ubuntu Wallpapers Seen
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 11:01:47 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu User Issue #01 - Free Online Issue!

Ubuntu Wallpapers through Ubuntu Repos, Awesome!

Lucid Lynx Mascot Wallpaper

,----[ Quote ]
| I also think mascot wallpapers are perfect
| for Alpha releases as a placeholder until
| the final artwork lands. Sadly this did
| not happen for this release either.

Trademark law hasn't caught up to free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's turn now to free software. People
| modify and redistribute it all the time,
| but to be honest about it, they shouldn't
| do so under the name chosen by the
| original developers. Practice is very
| fuzzy in this area, where few developers
| trademark their work--it takes whale of an
| effort, because even after spending
| thousands of dollars for a trademark you
| have to police its use--and those that do
| often have liberal policies. (There's a
| trademark policy for Ubuntu and a whole
| trademark organization for Linux.)
| Anderson and Dare go over the licenses of
| the Free Software Foundation and the Open
| Source Initiative and find a wide range of
| practices, or lack thereof.

The Good and Bad of Ubuntu Tweak

,----[ Quote ]
| In summary, Iâm not ungrateful to the
| Ubuntu Tweak developers.  They have
| produced a useful application that has
| undoubtedly helped many a non-geek make
| the switch to Ubuntu.  Theyâve clearly
| identified areas where Ubuntuâs default
| user interface is weak, and have developed
| a solution.

Five More Essential Ubuntu Features

,----[ Quote ]