[News] Fight Against Censorship and for Freedom in China, UK, NZ

  • Subject: [News] Fight Against Censorship and for Freedom in China, UK, NZ
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 10:43:24 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Net firms quizzed on China plans

,----[ Quote ]
| A top US Senator has asked 30 leading
| internet firms to provide details of their
| operations in China.

Opinion: Thereâs no such thing as anonymity on the internet

,----[ Quote ]
| This information can be used as an
| electronic fingerprint to uniquely identify
| my browser and, theoretically, track my
| online behaviour. In practice, although my
| system configuration is diverse enough to
| be unique, it lacks stability. If I install
| a new font or yet another browser plugin,
| my browserâs electronic fingerprint will
| change.
`----

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/internet-security/275530/opinion-there-s-no-such-thing-as-anonymity-on-the-internet

NZ FOSS folk say net flter a bad idea

,----[ Quote ]
| Senior free and open source software
| figures in New Zealand have expressed
| reservations about the government's plan to
| impose a centralised internet filter that
| it claims will block access to child
| pornography.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/telecommunications-news/policy-and-regulation/36451-nz-foss-folk-say-net-flter-a-bad-idea

Recent:

Internet Blackout: The final verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| The Great Australian Internet Blackout
| campaign against mandatory ISP-level
| filtering has attracted twice as many
| websites to its cause as had pledged before
| it began.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Internet-Blackout-The-final-verdict/0,130061791,339300670,00.htm?omnRef=1337

WikiLeaks whistleblower site in temporary shutdown

,----[ Quote ]
| WikiLeaks, a whistleblower website that
| allows people to publish uncensored
| information anonymously, has suspended