Re: [News] A Look at New GNU/Linux Distribution Stali, Other Lights One Like Linux2u and Puppy Linux

____/ JeffM on Wednesday 03 Feb 2010 19:48 : \____
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Stali
>>|Suckless has often delivered outstanding software,
>>
> I love the name of that outfit.
>
>>http://elevenislouder.blogspot.com/2010/02/stali.html
>>
> The Christopher Guest line in the blog name is cool too.
>
> From the blog post and its comments:
> :According to an Arch forum thread
> :this distro will also replace large parts of the GNU userland
> :with BSD counterparts (Ksh instead of Bash etc).
> :
> :The current rsync repo shows a lot of BSD software, but
> :also shows that Stali is not production ready by any means.
>
>> My Dream Light Weight Linux : Linux2u
>>|I am thinking of using a light weight powerful Distro
>>|that comes in 250MB size.
>>http://distrolove.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-dream-light-weight-linux-linux2u.html
>>
> So, it's strictly a thought experiment at this point.

Yes, but it's also the first time I see it mentioned.

> From the blog post:
> :Presentation
> :* I am worried no alternative available right now
> :
> He mentions OpenOffice several times (in negative contexts)
> but apparently doesn't realize that you can do a Custom install
> and include ONLY those modules you want/need (Impress).
>
>> Puppy Linux: Your new best friend
>>
>> Switching to Linux with Puppy
>>
> Using Puppy on removable bootable media
> doesn't seem so bad (though there are several distros
> that seem more apt for the kinds of stuff you'd do like that)
> but with the Everybody-runs-as-root thing with Puppy,
> I can't imagine anyone installing that distro to a hard drive.

They say the same thing about Vista :-)

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"The danger is that Microsoft is using strategic monopolistic pricing
in the education market, with the governmentâs assistance, to turn our
state university systems into private workforce training programs for Microsoft."
		--Nathan Newman
http://Schestowitz.com  | Mandriva Linux |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 11:00:01 up 79 days,  8:31,  2 users,  load average: 0.84, 0.74, 0.49