[News] New Reviews of GNU/Linux Applications: Gwibber, XMMS, GIMP...

  • Subject: [News] New Reviews of GNU/Linux Applications: Gwibber, XMMS, GIMP...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:45:38 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Gwibber Gets An Awesome New Look

,----[ Quote ]
| GWibber 2.29.1 comes with an awesome new
| look - a reduced sidepane, a new accounts
| window and an input box on show by default!
`----

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/gwibber-gets-awesome-new-look.html

XMMS music player

,----[ Quote ]
| If you liked Winamp and thought you had to
| stop using it under Linux, well, think
| again. XMMS is a very light yet powerful
| audio player that looks and works very
| similar to Winamp.
`----

http://cristalinux.blogspot.com/2010/02/xmms-music-player.html

Another console download manager

,----[ Quote ]
| I mentioned a script yesterday, so Iâll
| mention another one today â another sort of
| âdownload managerâ for the console. This
| isnât nearly as feature-ful as fttps, but
| since it approaches the issue in a concise
| and straightforward way, I thought it worth
| bringing to attention.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/another-console-download-manager/

Hands-on: new single-window mode makes GIMP less gimpy

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most radical and highly-
| anticipated changes that is documented in
| the specifications is a new single-window
| mode, an optional view that brings together
| all of the floating windows and converges
| them into a single cohesive user interface.
| To get a hands-on look at this feature, I
| compiled GIMP 2.7.1 and its core
| dependenciesâGEGL and Bablâfrom source code,
| which can be obtained from the GNOME git
| repository.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2010/02/hands-on-new-single-window-mode-makes-gimp-less-gimpy.ars

Free Programs to Create a PDF Document in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the invention of PDF format in 1993
| PDF documents have become extremely popular
| tool for exchanging information across the
| Web. Even now PDF beats more recent DJVU and
| various e-book formats in terms of
| popularity.
`----

http://linux.bihlman.com/2010/02/04/free-programs-to-create-a-pdf-document-in-linux/

Lyx â Easy LaTex without Spell Check

,----[ Quote ]
| I have used this toy to author a few
| documents and I must admit it is not half
| bad. You type in words, press some buttons
| and things happen. Unlike a WYSIWYG garbage-
| tron Lyx wonât just let you press enter a
| million times in lieu of proper vertical
| white space management. If you want to have
| vertical separation you need to break up
| your text into paragraphs, sections or
| insert special vertical space markers (as
| shown above). The environment gives you
| access to most of the popular commands you
| can pick from the drop down menus. It also
| ships with bunch of style templates you can
| load up and use. I donât think you can
| directly import packages into your
| documents, but I guess the point of this
| tool is to keep things simple and easy.
`----

http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2010/02/04/lyx-easy-latex-without-spell-check/

TimeVault simplifies data backup for Ubuntu users

,----[ Quote ]
| Backing up data can be difficult, especially
| when you only want to copy files that
| changed since the last backup. It can be
| even more troublesome when you have to
| remember to start the process manually,or
| you have to delete old backups to make room
| for new ones. Because of these difficulties,
| some people decide not to back up data at
| all, and feel the pain when they
| accidentally delete the wrong file or their
| system crashes. TimeVault is a backup
| utility for Ubuntu that addresses these
| problems.
`----

http://www.cherrysave.com/linux/timevault-simplifies-data-backup-for-ubuntu-users/

The Latest, Greatest, Scariest, and the Future of Information

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Marcel-Gagne-Orbiting-Planet-buntu/The-Latest-Greatest-Scariest-and-the-Future-of-Information