[News] 2 Good Reviews of Nokia's Linux Phone

n900, thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| Open stacks based on Linux, Qt and similar
| tools are in a much better position simply
| because more people and companies can
| participate and therefore create a larger pool
| of shared resources that is hard to impossible
| for a closed platform to match without joining
| in. (Let's not forget that S60 is opening up,
| either, and bringing Qt along with it too.) I
| don't know what the ultimate role Maemo itself
| will play in all of this, but in an open
| ecosystem it doesn't need to be IKotH to be
| successful either, anymore than any of the
| Linux distributions need to be IKotH in the
| server space for server side Linux to
| flourish.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/02/n900-thoughts.html

Review: Nokia N900

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokiaâs N900 is not a phone, OK. Well, it is a
| phone, in that it has a SIM slot, and you can
| use it to make voice calls. And it supports
| HSDPA and has a front facing camera so you can
| make video calls. But actually it is more a
| mini computer than a mobile phone.
|
| The N900 runs a new operating system, Maemo 5,
| which is based on Linux and so is open to
| application development by third parties. No,
| Symbian isnât going away, and no, it doesnât
| look as though Nokia will push out a slew of
| Maemo-toting devices during 2010, but yes,
| Nokia does think there is a place for very
| high end, very capable mini computers with
| telephony. And the N900 is its way of showing
| us that.
`----

http://www.smartphonedaily.co.uk/reviews/review-nokia-n900/

Recent:

Review: Nokia N900

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's N900 is a Linux-based mobile device with a number of
| advanced features, including application multi-tasking,
| uilt-in VoIP support, stereo speakers, graphics acceleration,
| video output to a TV, and more.
`----

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/hardware/2256284/review-nokia-n900

OpenOffice.org and the Gimp on the N900

,----[ Quote ]
| I have had my N900 for about one month now.
| During that time I have enjoyed several
| âWow!â moments. For example, being able to
| use the web just as if I was onha my
| desktop, including heavy javascript and
| flash sites such as Google Maps, Google
| Docs, GMail, Photobucket, etc. was amazing
| to me. Being a Linux user for many years, I
| really enjoy having access to a terminal
| application with access to root and to
| tools like the vi text editor. Being able
| to use Python to develop right on the
| device and to be able to use my own old
| Python programs, such as 7Squeeze, gave me
| that very warm feeling of validation. But,
| the N900 had one more big Wow! moment in
| store for me, one that I truly did not
| expect.
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/openoffice-org-and-the-gimp-on-the-n900/

Nokia announces bugfix release for Qt and beta version of Qt for Maemo

,----[ Quote ]
| The first bugfix release for version 4.6 of
| Qt GUI toolkit, acquired by Nokia in 2008,
| is now available. Similarly, an update for
| the cross-platform Qt Creator development
| environment, version 1.3.1, is also
| available to download. Both combine
| numerous fixes with performance
| enhancements and revised documentation. Qt
| 4.6.1 contains more than 90 changes, whilst
| debugging (especially under Mac OS X 10.6
| 'Snow Leopard') and the C++ editor have
| both been revised in Qt Creator. Both
| technologies are available on the Qt
| project's Git resource under the open
| source LGPL 2.1 license.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Nokia-announces-bugfix-release-for-Qt-and-beta-version-of-Qt-for-Maemo-908244.html

Nokia N900 Already Available at Carphone Warehouse

,----[ Quote ]
| Finnish mobile phone maker Nokia launched
| during the ongoing year its first handset
| running under the Maemo 5 operating system,
| the Nokia N900, a phone that is expected to
| arrive on the UK market as soon as January 14
| is here. However, enthusiasts in the UK won't
| have to wait until then to grab one of these
| beauties, as the handset has been already put
| on sale via Carphone Warehouse, though a
| contract agreement with Vodafone is still
| required.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-N900-Already-Available-at-Carphone-Warehouse-130722.shtml

Snowtter â Snowflakes + Twitter on Nokia N900

,----[ Quote ]
| Got a Nokia N900 Maemo device ? You can watch
| the updates in your Twitter timeline drop onto
| your screen as snow flakes.
`----

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/2009/12/28/snowtter-snowflakes-twitter-on-nokia-n900.html

Nokia N900 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia N900 is the final product which opens up a
| new path for the Finnish smartphone producer.
| After Google, which launched its new open source
| operating system for mobile phones, Nokia raised
| the stakes a few months later with its own
| vision, which is called Maemo. Android OS, as
| well as Maemo are both based on the well-known
| Linux platform, but they are pretty much
| different because they are the results of two
| different working teams. Before getting into
| more in-depth information, do not overlook the
| fact that we will be reviewing an Internet
| tablet, with some limited phone capabilities.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Nokia-N900-Review-130197.shtml

Nokia N900 review

,----[ Quote ]
| The N900 is Nokiaâs most hyped phone this year,
| running on the Linux-based Maemo OS. Does it
| show that Symbian should be scrapped or is it
| just another touch screen disappointment? We
| review the N900 to find out.
|
| Nokiaâs recent news that it may make the move
| from Symbian to Maemo for all its smartphones
| wonât come as a disappointment to those who
| have been tut tutting over Symbianâs antiquated
| S60 OS.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/618970/nokia-n900-review

Firefox for Mobile RC - Nokia N900 just got better.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2010/01/firefox-for-mobile-rc-nokia-n900-just.html