[News] The ACTA Conspiracy Marches on, Intellectual Monopolies a Threat to Society

  • Subject: [News] The ACTA Conspiracy Marches on, Intellectual Monopolies a Threat to Society
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:42:43 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Brussels denies rumours of secret anti-piracy treaty

,----[ Quote ]
| But Koehler added that the Parliament will be
| expected to endorse ACTA as it would be a sign
| of mistrust in the European Commission if it
| did not.
|
| "It is crystal clear that ACTA will go
| through," Koehler said.
`----

http://www.euractiv.com/en/infosociety/brussels-denies-rumours-secret-anti-piracy-treaty

The Patent, Copyright, Trademark, and Trade Secret Horror Files

,----[ Quote ]
| The other fallacy is the view at work here
| that there is no such thing as reputation,
| or even identity, absent trademark law. But
| this is incorrect. Of course people and
| firms can have reputations even if trademark
| law is nonexistent. All that is required is
| that people be able to identify other people
| and firms, and communicate. Pro-trademark
| arguments often implicitly assume that this
| is not possible, absent state-enforced
| trademark law, which is ridiculous.
`----

http://www.againstmonopoly.org/index.php?perm=593056000000002502

ISP cleared of copyright infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| In the first case of its kind, an Australian court has
| ruled that an internet service provider cannot be responsible for illegal downloading.
|
| iiNet, Australia's third largest ISP, was taken to court
| by a group of 34 movie production houses.

The digital economy versus the Digital Economy Bill

,----[ Quote ]
| I was at an Open Rights Group event in Edinburgh yesterday,
| about lobbying MPs regarding the DE Bill. One of the attendees,
| Hugh Hancock, pointed out that he will likely be harmed by the
| DE Bill, even though he is a creative person who is part of the
| digital economy, one of the very group of people this bill is
| ostensibly intended to help. (Of course, we all know that the DE is
| really there to protect the content distribution industry, not creative people).
`----

http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/blog/2010/jan/25/digital-economy-versus-digital-economy-bill/

Recent:

Anti-Piracy Scheme âA Scam & Legal Blackmailâ Say UK Lords

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-scheme-a-scam-legal-blackmail-say-uk-lords-100128/