[News] [Rival] Germany, France, NZ, and Australian Governments Were Right: Microsoft IE Should be Abandoned

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Germany, France, NZ, and Australian Governments Were Right: Microsoft IE Should be Abandoned
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:53:58 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft has another IE flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| CURSED BY ITS HAIRBALL CODE, Microsoft has
| released another security warning relating
| to a bug in Internet Explorer.
|
| In a blog post on its technet website the
| firm said that the vulnerability, which has
| been disclosed elsewhere, would give hackers
| access to personal information.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1590449/microsoft-ie-flaw

MS probes bug that turns PCs into 'public file servers'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has begun investigating a flaw in
| IE that most affects older versions of
| Windows, and turns vulnerable systems into a
| "public file server".
|
| The vulnerability means that hackers might
| be able to access files with an already
| known filename and location, providing they
| can trick users into visiting a maliciously
| constructed website. For this approach to
| work, the Protected Mode feature - which
| runs by default in Vista, Windows 7, and
| Windows Server 2008 - needs to be absent or
| disabled.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/04/ms_browser_bug/

Microsoft confirms new vulnerability in Internet Explorer

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Microsoft-confirms-new-vulnerability-in-Internet-Explorer-922111.html

IE Flaw Gives Hackers Access To User Files

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/04/198252/IE-Flaw-Gives-Hackers-Access-To-User-Files

IE flaw gives hackers access to user files, Microsoft says

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft warned on Wednesday that a flaw in
| its Internet Explorer browser gives
| attackers access to files stored on a PC
| under certain conditions.
`----

http://infoworld.com/d/security-central/ie-flaw-gives-hackers-access-user-files-microsoft-says-075

Blighty politicians told to ban IE6

,----[ Quote ]
| A PETITION has been presented to 10 Downing
| Street calling for the outlawing of
| Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6.
|
| The petition was set up by Dan Frydman of
| web firm Inigo. It calls for the UK
| government to ban Internet Exploder 6 and
| move to a more modern web browser.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1590090/blighty-politicians-told-ie6-ban

Recent:

Why the NHS can't get its browser act together

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't worry, said Microsoft a few days ago:
| the zero-day vulnerability that Chinese
| hackers exploited to infiltrate Google's
| network only affects Internet Explorer 6
| (released in 2000) running on Windows XP
| (released in 2001).
|
| The implication being that nobody uses that
| still, do they? Ed Bott, who has forgotten
| more about Microsoft than many people know,
| says in a vehement blogpost at ZDNet that:
|
|     "Any IT professional who is still
|     allowing IE6 to be used in a corporate
|     setting is guilty of malpractice. Think
|     that judgment is too harsh? Ask the
|     security experts at Google, Adobe, and
|     dozens of other large corporations that
|     are cleaning up the mess from a wave of
|     targeted attacks that allowed source code
|     and confidential data to fall into the
|     hands of well-organized intruders. The
|     entry point? According to Microsoft, it's
|     IE6."
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jan/22/internet-explorer-nhs-vulnerability

Expert finds vulnerabilities in Microsoft browser

,----[ Quote ]
| A security research firm said it discovered
| another set of vulnerabilities in Internet
| Explorer, a day after Microsoft Corp patched
| the Web browser following a high-profile
| cyber attack on Google in China.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60L5O820100122?type=technologyNews

IE is so secure we just had to build an OS out of it.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsofts new Gazelle concept is the
| greatest thing to hit Linux or the computer
| industry as a whole ever. According to
| Microsoft, Gazelle is a secure web browser
| constructed as a multi-principal OS. I never
| thought I would live to see the day that
| Microsoft announces its own suicide.
|
| I also never imagined that you could become
| a top executive and yet be so absolutely
| clueless as to sell an idea to the board
| that will mark their own demise and yet be
| so blinded by greed that the obvious has
| become a non issuing factor.
`----

http://www.buntfu.com/news,page,79,topic_id,content_pages

Firefox, Opera downloads surge after IE security scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet browsers Firefox and Opera have
| experienced a massive surge in downloads
| since the security flaw in Microsoft
| Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) was exposed.
|
| Firefox owner Mozilla claims it has
| experienced more than 300,000 extra
| downloads over a four-day period in Germany
| that started last Friday. Opera downloads in
| Germany amounted to over 18,000 in a day
| over last weekend.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/enterprise/firefox-opera-downloads-surge-after-ie-security-scare-20100121-mnez.html

Chinaâs Strange Fixation on IE6

,----[ Quote ]
| The scene in China is markedly different.
| Tons of websites, including commonly used
| ones, have been constructed and tested to
| work with IE6 only, without consideration of
| web standard (W3C), non-IE browsers
| (Firefox), or non-Windows platforms (Linux).
| This proliferation of non-standard websites
| is partly the result of ignorance. Remember
| the recent Green Dam fiasco? Green Dam was
| designed to block undesirable websites, but
| it only works if you access the web with IE.
| If you use Firefox, Green Dam has no effect.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/ligong/2010/01/22/china%E2%80%99s-strange-fixation-on-ie6/

Widespread Attacks Exploit Newly Patched IE Bug

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187413/widespread_attacks_exploit_newly_patched_ie_bug.html?tk=rss_news