[News] GNU in One's Pocket, GCC Rival Reaches Milestone

  • Subject: [News] GNU in One's Pocket, GCC Rival Reaches Milestone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 02:55:21 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

org-mode In Your Pocket Is a GNU-Shaped Devil

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not controversial to assert that Emacs
| is an environment all its own. You can find
| libraries and packages that allow Emacs to
| acknowledge and talk to outside environments,
| so itâs not a closed environment, but itâs
| different enough that thereâs some fiddling
| involved to get it chatting with the outside
| world.
`----

http://mph.puddingbowl.org/2010/02/org-mode-in-your-pocket-is-a-gnu-shaped-devil/

LLVM milestone reached - Clang compiler self-hosts

,----[ Quote ]
| The LLVM developers have announced that their
| open source Clang compiler is now capable of
| compiling itself and LLVM correctly.This
| process, called self-hosting, is a major
| landmark for any compiler technology as it
| means that the compiler has become self-
| sufficient in terms of support for its own
| functionality.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/LLVM-milestone-reached-Clang-compiler-self-hosts-922791.html

Recent:

LLVM 2.6 Released, Clang Is Now Production Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 2.6 of LLVM, the Low-Level Virtual
| Machine, has been released. This modular
| compiler infrastructure, which can replace
| many parts of the GNU Compiler Collection and
| go far beyond the conventional roles as a
| code compiler such as being used within
| Apple's Mac OS X OpenGL implementation for
| providing optimizations and is similarly
| going to be used within Gallium3D, has taken
| a major leap forward with the 2.6 release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzYzNw

GCC vs. LLVM-GCC Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| Last Friday we published Mac OS X 10.6 benchmarks and then on Monday they
| were joined by Ubuntu 9.10 vs. Mac OS X 10.6 benchmarks. One of the requests
| that has come up since publishing those articles are to carry out a set of
| tests comparing the performance of LLVM and LLVM-GCC. With Apple's Snow
| Leopard release, some parts of the operating system were built using LLVM-GCC
| for optimized performance, although this compiler is not yet matured. In this
| article we have a set of 12 benchmarks comparing GCC to LLVM-GCC.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=apple_llvm_gcc&num=1

Portable Linux future using LLVM

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine a single Linux distribution that adapts to whatever hardware you run
| it on. When run on an Atom netbook, all the software shapes and optimizes to
| the feature set and processor characteristics of the specific version of
| Atom. Want to run it as a VM on a new Nehalem-based server? No problem, it
| re-shapes to fit the Nehalem (Core i7) architecture. And here, when I
| say "re-shape", I don't mean at the GUI level. Rather, I mean the software is
| effectively re-targeted for your processor's architecture, like it had been
| re-compiled.
`----

http://www.trendcaller.com/2009/04/portable-linux-future-using-llvm.html

LLVM 2.5 Released, Receives Numerous Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| The LLVM (Low-Level Virtual Machine) still isn't a big competitor to GCC
| since the Clang compiler front-end remains unfinished, but the LLVM folks
| have issued a version 2.5 release. LLVM 2.5 is made up of a bunch of bug
| fixes, a new XCore back-end, performance improvements (in the compiler and
| its generated code), new development documentation, and plenty more new work.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzEwOQ

[llvm-announce] LLVM 2.4 Release!

,----[ Quote ]
| LLVM 2.4 includes many bug fixes, much faster compile times at -O0,
| substantially better code generation in various cases, a new PIC16 target,
| new IR features, and numerous other improvements and features (see the
| release notes for details).
`----

http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvm-announce/2008-November/000030.html

Related: