[News] Open Access Interviews and Great Progress

  • Subject: [News] Open Access Interviews and Great Progress
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 03:02:33 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Indispensable Man of Open Science: A Talk with Cameron Neylon

,----[ Quote ]
| Could you please tell us a bit of your
| background? What kind of scientist are you,
| for instance?
|
| I started off in what was at the time fairly
| conventional metabolic biochemistry doing an
| undergraduate project looking at what food
| molecules platelets selected from plasma
| when given the choice. Then I moved more
| towards biophysics and biotechnology during
| my PhD, looking at ways to manipulate DNA to
| make what were then large libraries of
| variants of the gene specific protein,
| trying to figure out how to make protein
| copies of all of those genes and then select
| the one or two out the billions that did
| what we want. The theme since then has
| really been about developing new ways of
| applying physical techniques from physics
| and chemistry to looking at protein
| structure and function.
|
| My current job at the Science and Technology
| Facilities Council in the UK is an
| interesting mix of developing new
| techniques, using these to tackle specific
| structural problems, and working with the
| scientists who come in to use our facilities
| to help them solve problems. I enjoy working
| with other people and this job gives me a
| good opportunity to do that and for that to
| be valued, something that is often missing
| in university settings.
`----

http://significantscience.com/2010/01/28/the-indispensable-man-of-open-science-a-talk-with-cameron-neylon/

Interview With Stevan Harnad - A Prophet Whose Time Has Come

,----[ Quote ]
| In June 1994, Stevan Harnad, a cognitive
| scientist at the University of Southampton
| in the U.K., posted a message on a mailing
| list that called on fellow researchers to
| make their papers freely available on the
| internet. The message became known as the
| Subversive Proposal.
`----

http://www.infotoday.com/IT/feb10/Poynder.shtml

CA Free Digital Textbook Initiative Launches Phase 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Many of you have heard about Californiaâs
| Free Digital Textbook Initiative that
| launched last spring, which called for
| submissions of free digital textbooks in
| math and science for use by the stateâs
| schools. Of the 16 textbooks submitted last
| year, 15 are openly licensed under one of
| the Creative Commons licensesâand all 10
| that passed 90% of CAâs state standards are
| CC licensed.

Is Citizen Science the future for researchers?

,----[ Quote ]
| When research findings are apparently called
| into question by leaked emails with opposing
| views, you can forgive those not involved in
| academic research for being a bit sceptical.
| After all how can people presented with the
| same data come up with findings that are
| diametrically opposed?
|
| So, can citizen science help, and what might
| it mean? The idea around open science and
| citizen science is to have a sensible,
| grown-up, debate in a public arena and
| engage everyone in the research process.
|
| It allows those who are not involved on a
| daily basis with research to hear opposing
| views and be engaged in the argument rather
| than being presented with only one view.
`----

http://www.researchinformation.info/news/news_story.php?news_id=573

CERN opens up bibliographic metadata!

,----[ Quote ]
| As regular readers of the Open Knowledge
| Foundation blog will know, bibliographic
| metadata is a subject close to our heart
| (see e.g., here, here and here). Hence we
| were delighted to see todayâs announcement
| that CERN Library are releasing their
| bibliographic metadata under an open
| license!
`----