[News] [Rival] Steve Jobs and Apple Attack People's Right to Read

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Steve Jobs and Apple Attack People's Right to Read
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 03:27:36 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Updated: Amazonâs Stanza Bows To Appleâs E-book Sharing Request

,----[ Quote ]
| Does Appleâs iBooks ambition mean a new DRM
| regime for existing e-book app makers? Less
| than a week after the new iBooks store was
| announced alongside the iPad, the Amazon-
| owned Stanza iPhone e-books app has released
| an upgrade, the version notes for which
| read: âRemoved ability to share books via
| USB as required by Apple.â
`----

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-amazons-stanza-bows-to-apples-e-book-sharing-request/

Steve Jobs' New York Media Adventure

,----[ Quote ]
| Steve Jobs visited the Wall Street Journal
| and New York Times in recent days, say
| sources at the papers. Also, New York
| reports the Apple CEO showed up for a secret
| media dinner.
|
| We're reliably informed that Jobs showed up
| for an iPad show and tell at the Times
| building, with newsroom staff present.
`----

http://valleywag.gawker.com/5464423/steve-jobs-new-york-media-adventure

iPhone App Store bars mention of Google Android

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has told a tiny mobile software
| developer that its application cannot be
| included in the iPhone App Store if it
| mentions Google Android.
|
| Flash of Genius offers a mobile app aimed at
| students preparing for their college
| entrance exams. "Flash of Genius: SAT Vocab"
| debuted on the iPhone, and at the end of
| last year, a version was introduced for
| Android as well.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/05/apple_slaps_iphone_app_for_mentioning_google_android/

Recent:

Anything the iPad can do, Linux can do better.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Apple iPad has finally arrived, and,
| as I predicted a while back, it's really
| just a big iPod Touch. That's great. I
| love my iPod Touch. But, really, is there
| anything here that Linux can't do just as
| well for less money?
|
| [...]
|
| Besides the Moblin/Atom boxes, you'll also
| see iPad-like tablets using ARM processors
| and Google's Android 2.0 take on Linux
| coming out at about the same time. Android
| 2 vendors, like Motorola with its Droid,
| have always targeted the iPhone. The iPad
| will just be another arena for their
| battle.
|
| And, last, but by no means least, there's
| Google with its Chrome operating system.
| It's going to take longer to come to the
| market then the others but I can see
| Chrome Linux powered netbooks giving the
| iPad trouble as well as giving the
| traditional desktop market fits.
|
| All that taken into consideration, I'm
| also still sure that the iPad will be
| wildly popular. Apple products, when Apple
| puts its mind to it, usually are very
| successful... for users who have the money
| for the shiniest new toys. In the longer
| run though I'm willing to bet that
| collectively the Linux-powered
| entertainment tablets will end up having
| more customers.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15487/anything_the_ipad_can_do_linux_can_do_better

Is the iPad 'iBad for freedom'?

,----[ Quote ]
| In an online petition and an open letter
| to Steve Jobs, the open source
| organisation says: "The iPad's
| unprecedented use of DRM to control all
| capabilities of a general purpose computer
| is a dangerous step backward for computing
| and for media distribution. We demand that
| Apple remove all DRM from its devices."
|
| Defective by Design.org is a campaign of
| the Free Software Foundation. GNU founder
| Richard Stallman is its president.
`----

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/334196/ipad_ibad_freedom?fp=2&fpid=1&rid=1

Apple iPad spanked with Defective by Design protest

,----[ Quote ]
| Not everyone is drooling about Apple's
| soon-to-be-launched tablet. Members of the
| anti-DRM group Defective by Design were
| protesting Wednesday morning outside
| Apple's tighty controlled launch event,
| handing out cards mocking Apple's
| invitation, with Apple's tagline "Come see
| our latest creation" replaced with "Come
| see our latest restriction."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/27/defective_by_design/

Nothing Creative

,----[ Quote ]
| Compared to my laptop, the iPad lacks a
| keyboard, software development tools,
| writersâ tools, photographersâ tools, a
| Web server, a camera, a useful row of
| connectors for different sorts of wires,
| and the ability to run whatever software I
| choose. Compared to my Android phone, it
| lacks a phone, a camera, pocketability,
| and the ability to run whatever software I
| choose. Compared to the iPad, my phone
| lacks book-reading capability,
| performance, and screen real-estate.
| Compared to the iPad, my computer lacks a
| touch interface and suffers from excessive
| weight and bulk.
|
| [...]
|
| For creative people, this device is
| nothing.
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2010/01/27/iPad

Apple's tablet and the media hype machine

,----[ Quote ]
| The principle behind the Apple tablet
| hype-excitement-burnout cycle is nothing
| new, of course; we've seen this happen
| time and time again (see: the weeks
| leading up to every other Apple event in
| recent history). Whether you're an Apple
| fan or an Apple hater, odds are you've by
| now reached the point of saturation when
| it comes to the endless analysis of a
| product we don't actually know anything
| about.
`----