[News] GNU/Linux Thrives in Sub-notebooks While "Battery Killer" (Vista 7) Fails

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Thrives in Sub-notebooks While "Battery Killer" (Vista 7) Fails
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 02:07:19 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Netbooks to Make Up 90% of PC Market, ARM CEO Says

,----[ Quote ]
| "Although netbooks are small today â maybe
| ten per cent of the PC market at most â we
| believe over the next several years that
| could completely change around and that
| could be 90 per cent of the PC market," the
| ARM CEO, Mr. Warren East, says. "We see
| those products as an area for a lot of
| innovation and we want that innovation to
| be happening around the ARM architecture."
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Netbooks-to-Make-up-90-of-PC-Market-ARM-CEO-Says-134078.shtml

Answering a Friend About Ubuntu on a Netbook

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu wordmark officialImage via Wikipedia
| This post is directed to a friend that
| asked about getting a new netbook and
| putting Ubuntu on it. Facebook ate my
| homework and gave me nothing but a server
| error in response, so I decided to put the
| answer up here and just send him a link.
|
|     Thinking of installing Ubuntu on a
|     Netbook we're going to buy as I've
|     heard it's pretty lightweight in
|     comparison to Windows 7. What are your
|     thoughts on this in general? Also, it
|     is free right?
|
| First of all, I want you to know that I use
| Ubuntu every day. All of the computers in
| my house (and there are many of them) use
| Ubuntu or some relative (like Debian). Not
| only is it free (as in liberty), it's also
| free ($), and it does everything that I
| want and more, though there's sometimes a
| little pain involved. My experiences with
| Windows don't involve any less pain, though
| the part of the eye the needles get stuck
| into isn't necessarily the same.
`----

http://blog.ibeentoubuntu.com/2010/02/answering-friend-about-ubuntu-on.html

Light weight netbooks operating system Leeenux hits version 2.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Leeenux is a light weight Linux
| distribution based on Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
| It takes up just 1.2GB of disk space and
| has a user interface thatâs designed for
| netbooks with screens as small as 7 inches.
| In other words, it plays well with first
| generation Asus Eee PC models.
`----

http://www.liliputing.com/2010/02/light-weight-netbooks-operating-system-leeenux-hits-version-2-0.html

The Battery Problem Is Affecting Windows 7 Notebooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Another part of users say that their
| batteries underperformed and decided to
| return to Windows XP or Vista versions or
| even switch to Linux.
`----

http://www.latestngadgets.com/the-battery-problem-is-affecting-windows-7-notebooks/2249.html

Recent:

Discretix joins ARM Solution Center for Android

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.design-reuse.com/news/22205/android-multi-scheme-drm-client.html