[News] Review of HomeBank (Financial Application) for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Review of HomeBank (Financial Application) for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:33:02 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Manage your money in Linux with HomeBank

,----[ Quote ]
| For many Linux users one area where Linux
| needs some improvement is money management.
| Yes there is the very powerful GnuCash (check
| out GnuCash in my article âGnuCash: Open
| source Accounting/Financing goodnessâ). But
| many users find GnuCash to be too much power
| for what they need. There is also the slick
| KMyMoney, but that depends upon KDE. So what
| do the non-power, non-KDE users have? One
| option is HomeBank.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/07/manage-your-money-in-linux-with-homebank/

Recent:

Digitalizing My Personal Finances on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So I looked at GNUcash, which I remember playing with back in my early
| induction into the Linux community. GNUcash is much more complex then
| HomeBank and would be an excellent alternative to proprietary paid financial
| managers.
`----

http://fishbowl42.com/blog/2009/08/06/digitalizing-my-personal-finances-on-linux/

Get started with HomeBank

,----[ Quote ]
| With HomeBank you can automate recurring transactions, set reminders for
| future transactions, assess your future account balance so you can plan your
| spending sprees and manage your expenses expertly. You see, we work hard for
| our pay cheques - well, some of us work harder than others - and we spend
| money on groceries, utilities and, ahem, fun Fridays. But keeping track of
| what's coming in, when the bills are due and how much is left after the
| recurring monthly expenses is not something that many of us make the effort
| to do. It's time-consuming and boring and there's always that episode of 24
| that you'd rather be watching.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/get-started-homebank

GnuCash, for Personal and Business Finance, Out in New Version

,----[ Quote ]
| These days, we're all watching our funds closely, and if you want a little
| help from the world of open source, GnuCash is out in a brand new version
| 2.2.8. This is one of the long-standing FOSS finance management applications,
| as useful for individuals as it is for small businesses who want to use it
| for accounting tasks and the like. Like QuickBooks and other proprietary
| products, it includes a checkbook-style register, follows generally accepted
| accounting principles, and produces particularly detailed reports. Here's
| what you'll find under the hood.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/gnucash-for-personal-and-business-finance-out-in-new-version

Chandler 1.0, the open source PIM

,----[ Quote ]
| If that leaves you only fractionally less in the dark, here's some
| background: Chandler is a cross-platform, open source Personal Information
| Manager (PIM), and project of the Open Source Applications Foundation. The
| vision behind Chandler and the OSAF is that of Mitch Kapoor, designer of the
| original "killer app" for the PC generation, Lotus 1-2-3.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/12/chandler-1-0-the-open-source-pim/

Manage Your Finances With GNUCash

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers might like to think that the most important programs on their
| computer is an editor, programming language, or even a Web browser with the
| latest plugins. But for many people, a computer is nothing more than a tool,
| something that they use to write letters, perform calculations, and create
| presentations. Even if Linux were the most user-friendly operating system on
| the planet, but if it weren't for the OpenOffice productivity suite, no one
| would ever use it
`----

http://ostatic.com/164241-blog/manage-your-finances-with-gnucash

If You Knew Cash Like GnuCash Knows Cash

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the final frontiers for users, and open source programmers, is the
| dark realm of the financial application. Plenty of office suites, customer
| relationship managers, IDEs, and various groupware packages abound, but a
| dearth of solid and usable financial programs are available. GnuCash fills
| the void of a financial package for Linux users but GnuCash, contrary to what
| some believe, will not replace Quickbooks although it does have some very
| advanced features. It is more of a competitor with Microsoft Money or Quicken
| for personal account or small business accounting. It may fill the need,
| however, for a large number of you who feel stuck with a Windows-only
| financial application solution.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6779/

Shareware Report: GNU money versus old