[News] Men At Work Meet Intellectual Monopolies

  • Subject: [News] Men At Work Meet Intellectual Monopolies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 10:20:34 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Men At Work's Colin Hay hits out over plagiarism ruling

,----[ Quote ]
| Men at Work's Colin Hay has issued an angry
| statement calling the Down Under plagiarism
| case "opportunistic greed".
|
| Earlier this week, a federal court in
| Sydney ruled that Men at Work had
| plagiarised Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum
| Tree in its 1983 hit, Down Under.

Studios crushed: ISP can't be forced to play copyright cop

,----[ Quote ]
| In a definitive defeat for film studiosâand
| in a first case of its kind worldwideâ
| Australia's Federal Court has ruled that
| ISPs have no obligation to act on copyright
| infringement notices or to disconnect
| subscribers after receiving multiple
| letters. If copyright holders want justice
| for illegal file-sharing, they need to
| start by targeting the right people: those
| who committed the infringement.
|
| The ruling handed down today by Judge J.
| Cowdroy aims to be nothing less than
| magisterial: in 200 pages, it examines the
| issue from every possible angle because of
| the "obvious importance of these
| proceedings to the law of copyright both in
| this country and possibly overseas."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/02/studios-crushed-isp-cant-be-forced-to-play-copyright-cop.ars

The ACTA Guide, Part One: The Talks To-Date

,----[ Quote ]
| The 7th round of Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement negotiations begins tomorrow in
| Guadalajara, Mexico.  The negotiation round
| will be the longest to-date, with three and
| a half days planned to address civil
| enforcement, border measures, the Internet
| provisions, and (one hour for)
| transparency.  Over the next five days, I
| plan to post a five-part ACTA Guide that
| will include sourcing for much of the
| discussion on ACTA, links to all the leaked
| documents, information on the transparency
| issue, and a look at who has been speaking
| out.
`----

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4725/125/

Recent:

Oz gov suggests world's worst copyright protection scheme

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/14/australia_copyright_scheme/