[News] Copyright at Risk, Abused by Power; Helena Bonham Carter Receives Complaint Letter

  • Subject: [News] Copyright at Risk, Abused by Power; Helena Bonham Carter Receives Complaint Letter
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:44:45 +0000
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

No, Copyright Has Never Been About Protecting Labor

,----[ Quote ]
| Ugh. So, we recently wrote about Matthew
| Yglesias' quite accurate economic
| explanation for why the price of music was
| going to get pushed to zero, no matter what
| the industry said or what happened with
| copyright law.

Appeals Court Says Internet Content Should Be Held To Standards Of Strictest Jurisdiction

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, the court did say that
| punishment had to be limited to just
| looking at how many people in that smaller
| community accessed the content -- which
| could limit the punishment given by the
| court, but it still seems problematic.
| Other courts, including one in California,
| have found differently on similar
| questions, so it seems likely that, at some
| point, this issue will finally go back to
| the Supreme Court. Unfortunately, it seems
| likely that the Supreme Court will focus on
| what counts as "community standards" rather
| than whether or not laws against obscenity
| even make legal sense under the First
| Amendment.

The Pirate Bay To Be Censored in Italy, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Following a lengthy legal procedure the
| Court of Bergamo has once again ruled that
| Italian ISPs have to censor their networks
| and prevent customer access to The Pirate
| Bay. Millions of Italian Internet users
| will be denied access to the popular
| torrent site in an attempt to prevent
| copyright infringement.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-to-be-censored-in-italy-again-100207/

Authors Guild: âTo RIAA or Not to RIAAâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Thereâs equal reason to support or object
| to the proposed Google Books settlement.
|
| Creating a digital catalog of the worldsâ
| words might be the Holy Grail of
| intellectual empowerment.
|
| Yet building that library in the clouds
| would be allowed without the rights-
| holdersâ consent â which the Justice
| Department and others contend is a complete
| and fundamental alteration of copyright
| law.
`----

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/02/authors-guild-to-riaa-or-not-to-riaa/

Oink.CD â Oinkâs Pink Palace Part Two

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the second, of a long series of
| posts about OINK.CD, the music file sharing
| site run by Alan Ellis, and Alanâs
| acquittal on charges of Conspiracy to
| Defraud. My apologies for the delay â I
| have been trying to obtain information on
| the case, and while I have obtained some of
| what I need, Iâm still working on getting
| more.
`----

http://madhatter.ca/?p=160

IP is not a joke

,----[ Quote ]
| After another comedian, the taping ended.
| We were informed that the crowd had to stay
| put because Bob Kelly had to come out and
| re-film a joke.  It was the joke I just
| mentioned.  They said it had to be re-taped
| because Comedy Central didnât have the
| rights to the song âWe Are The Worldâ.  (My
| guess is it probably wasnât worth it to
| them to obtain the rights, for 1 or 2
| seconds of a joke).  How ridiculous is
| this?  FOUR WORDS!  We then had to hear the
| same joke, slightly modified, again, and
| pretend and cheer for it like we never
| heard it before.  I am interested in seeing
| the final edited product, whenever it
| eventually airs.
`----

http://www.stephankinsella.com/2010/02/07/ip-is-not-a-joke/

Members of European Parliaments ask when they will receive the ACTA documents

,----[ Quote ]
| Some Member of the European Parliament have
| asked when they will receive the ACTA
| documents, mentioning the Lisbon Treaty
| article 218 which says that the Parliament
| have to be "fully informed" of the
| negotiations. The new trade commissioner
| Karel DeGucht said previously that the
| Lisbon Treaty do not apply to ACTA, because
| the confidentiality of the talks were
| negotiated before.
|
| Some Member of the European Parliament are
| asking the Commission and the Council when
| they plan to respect the Lisbon Treaty on
| ACTA, where the next Trade Commissioner
| Karel DeGucht said in a hearing that the
| Lisbon Treaty does not apply to the ACTA
| negotiations, because the confidentiality
| rules were negotiated before the entry into
| force of the Treaty.
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-217750/members-of-european-parliaments-ask-when-they-will-receive-the-acta-documents

Commissioner Ferrero-Waldner answers ACTA internet chapter question

http://arebentisch.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/commissioner-ferrero-waldner-answers-acta-internet-chapter-question/

Copyfighter Cory Doctorow.

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks in no small part to Mr. Doctorow you
| can now get your ACTA news from a number of
| sources, including a weekly podcast that I
| help out with. To read his latest you can
| bookmark his blog, follow him on Twitter
| and keep an eye out for his posts on Boing
| Boing.
`----

http://openattitude.com/2010/02/08/copyfighter-cory-doctorow/

Dear Helena Bonham Carter, How Do You Pay Your BT Bill Online?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://slated.org/Dear_Helena_Bonham_Carter